Graduate School = No Free Time is NOT always true; the truth is...

It depends on how you budget your time!
Hi everyone,
Thanks for coming back to my blog again this week! Yesterday I wrote my first exam of the semester and it actually went pretty well! A lot of my friends are also writing their midterm exams this and next week. One can usually sense when midterms are here. There is a feeling that days are too short, lots of coffee consumption, no dinners out with friends, NO FREE TIME! But is it always that way? Not really! There is this myth that graduate students do not have free time to do anything else besides studying. It is true that graduate students work hard, but I found out this semester that graduate students CAN have free time. A little lesson in time management and prioritizing my tasks helped me figure that out. For all the other times that I do not feel like following these rules I use another trick, I CREATE FREE TIME:-) Don't believe me that graduate students do have a social life? Well here is the evidence they do...

Top 5 list of evidence that graduate students have free time

1) They either run or are actively involved in countless graduate student organizations
2) They go to gopher games and some even hold season tickets
3) They are constantly changing their status on Facebook
4) They do pleasure reading outside of school
5) They have time to exercise or participate in relaxing activities such as yoga and pilates

U of M homecoming.jpg
How do I manage my time?

• I own a planner which is customized to the U of M academic calendar and the university holidays. You too can get this cool planner at the U of M bookstore.

• I create weekly to-do-lists with all activities and due dates to remind myself what lies ahead.

• I own an alarm clock that wakes me up on time every morning [after hitting the snooze button several times I usually wake up on time:-)].

• I check my U of M e-mail every morning to make sure there are no changes that I am unaware of.

How do I prioritize my tasks?

• I look at due dates and make sure assignments that are due earlier than others are done first. If a task does not have specific due dates I set up one and try my best to stick to it.

• I ask myself how much work will this task involve? If it will involve a lot of time and work I start it early. If I have any trouble starting it right away, I speak to my classmates or set up an appointment to speak with the teaching assistant or the professor.

• I ask upper class graduate students who have more experience with the task to get their opinion.

There are many other activities that graduate students do to distress and have fun at the U of M. So don't be scared APPLY today!

You actually make it seem very easy with your presentation but I find this topic to become actually something which I believe I would never understand.

You actually make it seem so easy together with your presentation but I find this topic to become actually a thing that I think I would never understand.

You actually allow it to be seem very easy together with your presentation but I've found this topic to be actually a thing that I believe I'd never understand.

You actually allow it to be seem so easy together with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something which I believe I'd never understand.

You actually make it seem very easy together with your presentation but I've found this topic to become actually a thing that I think I would never understand.

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to become actually a thing that I think I would never understand.

Although i'm not a graduate student i do feel the pressures of the day feeling to short with working full time, family and school. You give some good insight and tips that can be used to help in my situation.

parece sencillo, intentaremos en casa, saludos cordiales.