SPSP 2011 in SanAn, TX

SPSP = Society for Personality and Social Psychology
2011 = Year after 2010 and before 2012
SanAn = San Antonio
TX = Texas

..but what does it mean?

This blog concerns one of the top reasons to go to graduate school: Conferences.

CONFERENCES

In January 15-20 students and faculty from the Psychology department (including me) went to the Society for Personality and Social Psychology's annual conference. This year the conference was in San Antonio, TX. Ever been to a conference? Here are my top reasons to go:

1. Get a feel of what's happening in the field

The most prominent researchers also attend conferences. They present, they go to poster sessions, they talk about the research they're doing in the hallways.

2. Get inspired about your own research

There are no better places to get ideas and feedback on your ideas than conferences. Imagine a thousand bright minds under one roof and you can appreciate the extent to which you get inspired.

3. Meet new people

This is what most people call networking, I call it meeting people. "Networking" implies that we meet people only so that we can take advantage of their acquaintance later. Meeting people implies that we get to know each other, make friends and collaborators, and stay in touch.

4. Bond with people you already know

Nothing ties groups together like shared experiences do. Although all the social psychology graduate students are in one hallway, I rarely venture outside of my own office. Conferences offer opportunities to get to know my friends even better.

5. Travel to new places (or, take a little break)

I had never been to San Antonio. A lot of American history was written in the small city, and in between symposia and sessions we toured the city. Remember the Alamo!

The downsides to conferences are that they are time-consuming, often expensive (unless you present a poster or a paper), and you need another vacation once you come back from one. Nevertheless, the benefits clearly outweigh the costs!

Hoping you can all go to conferences,

Susanne

The pictures below show:
1. A cropped view of the conference center
2. Key Note Speaker Malcom Gladwell
3. Kate Gilson and I in front of the Alamo
4. The San Antonio riverwalk at night

SPSP.jpg

Malcom Gladwell.jpg

The Alamo.jpg

San Antonio.jpg

Hi Susanne,

Great blog entry! I was just at a conference today. I agree that it is such an energizing experience as well as way to meet people who have similar research interests (networking). Networking is a awkward word for it but such an important thing to do.

How many professional conferences do you attend a year? Do you have specific professional organizations you are a member of?

Beth

Hello Beth,

Thank you for the comment.

Usually I attend 2-3 conferences a year: The Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP), the American Association of Suicidology (AAS), and oftentimes a minor conference. I am a member of both SPSP and AAS.

Conferences are great in so many ways. I hope you enjoyed yours!

Susanne

I am glad to be a visitor of this perfect weblog ! , appreciate it for this rare info ! .

Do he Loves Drupal Really? I mean we love the same thing at a moment and We both do not know!this awesome that our likes are same and similar for Drupal!

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually a thing that I believe I'd never understand.

You actually allow it to be seem very easy with your presentation but I've found this topic to become actually something which I believe I would never understand.

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to become actually a thing that I believe I would never understand.

Interesting column , I'm going to spend more time learning about this topic

You really allow it to be seem very easy with your presentation but I've found this topic to become actually something which I believe I would never understand.

You actually allow it to be seem so easy together with your presentation but I've found this topic to be actually a thing that I believe I'd never understand.

You really allow it to be seem very easy with your presentation but I've found this topic to become actually a thing that I think I would never understand.

Hi Justin,Your story is impressive and this type of stories go ahead and give the push that people need. Mine is similar to yours, the only difference being that Im just starting to hit. Ive not really hit hard but that first dollar was really something. Im working hard and also reporting my income because I know Ill get there. Thanks for that beautiful one. Enjoy your day.

Hi, Neat post. There is an issue together with your site in internet explorer, might check this¡K IE nonetheless is the market leader and a good component to other people will miss your great writing because of this problem.