Oh, academia!

When I went home, to Ukraine, this summer for a short break from my intense study, besides lots of fun, hugs and my mom's homemade food I got to experience quite an interesting communication struggle that I have never experienced before. Just as an example here, it took me almost two weeks to explain to my dad what it is that I study here in the US. And, trust me, my dad is quite smart. The problem was in the time gap between generations, countries, cultures created by advanced technologies and high mobility; the problem was also in me, trying to translate essential English words from my day-to-day academic life, words, inexistent yet in my native Russian or Ukrainian.

You see, I discovered that the education journey you are going on sometimes tends to carry you away from your "roots", from your family and people you knew before all of your academia or people you grew up with. How is that, you'd ask? Gradually, slowly you gain that smartness and sophistication; grow into an intelligent product of the higher education; experience variety of intercultural interactions, while your people back home live their own busy lives at their small towns' speed. But as long as you learn to appreciate your growth along with embracing your "roots", you'll find it very inspiring to be sometimes an ambassador of the new knowledge to your home.

For those of you who are very much into reading, I'd like to suggest this article on the topic that I found quite picturesque and interesting. Enjoy your "journey" wherever you are and never forget where you came from.

Lubrano-The_Shock_of_Education_How_College_Corrupts.pdf

Proud U of M parents.jpg

Natalia,
I read the essays and after five decades, it brought back memories of going off to school and growing away from family and friends. We were connected, but with distance and time things changed. My girlfriend at the time left for the summer and went out west. I was the kid who stayed behind and when she returned a few months later, she was a different person. I couldn't understand it at the time, but after reading this it make more sense to me now. It funny, we never stop learning new things and about ourselves. Thanks for sharing!

Larry