Recently in -Jia Liu Category

My Q&A About Applying UMN

Hey Everyone, this time I am going to write some words about the tips and important information about applying University of Minnesota Twincities for future graduate students.
Ok~ Here we go!

1.What is the APPLICATION DEADLINE ?
The graduate school highly recommend that students submit the application at least two weeks before the deadline, most of the programs will end application on December 15, and some programs will end a little earlier or later around December. Check each programs' own websites to get correct deadlines and those are the most reliable resources.
The link: Choosing Program Website

The picture below shows the webpage of choosing different program's own site to get information of the deadline and application instruction.
屏幕快照 2012-11-18 上午04.11.17.png

### If some urgent issue happen and you miss the deadline by lately submitting some materials, you could contact the specific department office by phone or email to ask if you could still hand in your application. The Officers will be very friendly to answer you. ###

2. What should you prepare for application?
Usually,your application should include your GRE score, your resume, your unofficial transcript (electric version needed), your official transcript (closure in an envelope), recommendation letters ( at least 2-3, depends on different programs), your personal statement, your research or work experience report, some programs need extra writing sample or other credentials. Also you need your Credit card (Visa, Discover, American Express and MasterCar) ready to pay the application fee.(International student:$95.00)
The detailed instruction link: Application Instructions

3. How to apply?
Our school use the online application system which is very easy to use. You need to create an account, then login the system to begin your application!
The link is below: Online Application!
The picture of the login webpage is below :
屏幕快照 2012-11-18 上午05.17.58.png

After login, just follow the instruction to continue your application process.You will fill in your information in Personal Information, Application Information,Educational Background,Test Information-Self Reported,Languages,Awards and Activities, Employment / Residence Information,Financial Support,Legal agent/privacy statement, Applicant Statements, Program Supplementary Information.
For the recommendation letter, you could download the form on the website and ask provider to complete it or to give the providers' email address to let them finish and hand in online which is much efficiency.

屏幕快照 2012-11-18 上午05.20.55.png
4. After applying
After finishing the applying process you should be very patient of waiting the decision made by the school. Actually, I really suggest you that the good applying work is to contact a specific professor whom you would like to work with and the dean of the department to know you are going to apply if you want them to pay more attention to you.
If you are eager for the decision news, you could search and check in the grade cafe forum to know if the decision has worked out!
The link : Grad Cafe Forum

Good Luck everyone!! I hope you all will get good news from UMN, we really welcome you!

屏幕快照 2012-11-18 上午05.36.57.png

Activities In Winter Minnesota

The first snowfall came late October this year as predicted. My fourth Minnesota winter is coming. For me, cold winter is not that horrible. And that's the only time I prefer to stay in the warm library and study than to wander outside. However If you really like to explore, you will find there are lot of hot things ongoing.

Screen Shot 2012-11-03 at 1.51.45 AM.png

No.1 BIG NBA games.

The NBA new season just kicked off. We have some new guys here in T-Wolves. Brandon Roy the former all-star and Andrei Kirilenko a former leading blocker will make the Minnesota Team more competitive this year. I am really anticipating the comeback of Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio. They almost complete the reconstruction. For a student at the U, we will have a college night every Wednesday, a $20 ticket for just $10 for U students only. That's one thing you may want to check out.
Go Timberwolves!

Screen Shot 2012-11-03 at 1.49.00 AM.png

No.2 Vikings is on the way.

I am a big football fan. This year I really hope that the Vikings can make something happen. They are 5-3 and the second in the division. The young quarterback Christian Ponder is really a smart guy, and he is growing up and making progress. Also, we have Adrian Peterson, and Percy Harven. I believe they will make the playoff.
Go Vikings.

Screen Shot 2012-11-03 at 1.53.41 AM.png

No.3 Skiing and snowboard

If you don't want to sit inside to watch the games and instead you like snow and winter sports. This is the right place too. I still remembered that in winter 2010, I had my first skiing experience in St. Paul. It was like a baby learning walking on her own. Well, for me, skiing is hard but so much fun. In the late December, you will find that you can ski everywhere, since you got couples of inches snow almost everywhere. Then, after 2 years experience you may try the more skilled sports snowboard in the professional field. That's something really fancy. By the way, the university also offers skiing and snowboard course every year. I am sure you may don't want to miss it.
Go skiing in Saint Paul

No.4 Ice fishing
Somebody may ask me, are you kidding me? It's so cold outside, what can you do except find some shelter? But, don't forget that, we have thousands of lakes in Minnesota. Ice fishing is really cool. You can find a lot of ice fishing lakes in the north Minnesota. Ice fishing is not that difficult or danger. Once you find a lake with ice thick enough, you can cut a hole and fish with your rod and bites . Surprisingly, it's not as cold as you might expected.

Go Ice Fishing

"Driven to discover" even you are in the freezing Minnesota, you will find something amazing.

It is so nice to meet you all. [ :

Hey everyone, my name is Jia Liu. 刘佳. I am from a very beautiful seaside city Dalian, China. Dalian is located in the north eastern area of China, very close to Japan and South Korea. The city is very famous for its good temperature, living environment and delicious seafood. It is really a romantic city. I miss my hometown very much.

large_YCFU_22ef00006e29125c.jpg

From this fall, I started my 1st year master degree of Industrial Engineering in the U. You might think that I am a new one here, but actually, I have been to the University of Minnesota for 3 years for my bachelor degree of mathematics. I love University of Minnesota, it is beautiful, lovely, humanizing and full of my college year memory.
In the years of studying abroad, I have learnt lots of knowledge except mathmatical's, and I become more positive and passion about life.
I love cooking food, eating gourmet, taking pictures, traveling, making friends, watching movies and collecting cute stuffs.
And this is me. I was holding squid-Ink spaghetti, one of my favorite Italian food!

264796_10150250738256381_3944394_n.jpg

Deciding to be an international student ambassador is no doubt a wonderful thing to me. I am a very energetic and active guy! I want to make life meaningful by helping others. At the same time, I will be very happy to share good stuff with you! If you have any questions about applying, studying, living, shopping, traveling, leave them bellow, feel free to answer you as soon as I can!!

Finally, I want to show you a picture of last winter in Minneapolis. It is funny, isn't it?

p_large_5aiS_69010006d7895c44.jpg

This page is an archive of recent entries in the -Jia Liu category.

-David Steinfeld is the previous category.

-Natalia Krasnobeyava is the next category.