Recently in -Pearl Ometan Category

International Education Week

Today marks the beginning of the annual International Students Week, an event initiated by the US department of State and the US department of Education.
As international students, it's a great opportunity to celebrate education and diversity among students in institutions all over the world.
Interestingly, the University of Minnesota comprises students from over 120 different countries and over 1,300 international faculty and scholars. Last year's event at the University of Minnesota included lecture series, poster presentations, a learning fair and of course, the fun parts - lots of games and film shows.

This year's celebration will culminate in a documentary titled "Crossing borders", which focuses on cross-cultural discussions and misconceptions. The documentary will be followed by a panel dicsussion by students on cross-cultural experiences.

For details on specific events during the week, please visit http://global.umn.edu/global-u/iew/

Looking forward to more exciting events this year!!

U of M diversity.jpg

diversity.jpg

Volunteer group

Hi all,
I am a member of the University's Medical Reserve corps, that held a pharmaceutical repackaging drill for it's new and old members during the last week. The drill was to train volunteers on how to package and dispense drugs to the public in situations of health emergencies.
The University of Minnesota's Medical Reserve Corps is a volunteer group of students, staff and faculty of the Academic health center at the University of Minnesota. The group is responsible for training volunteers to respond to local, state and national emergencies. As a student, it's also an opportunity for networking, to meet other healthcare and public health professionals and share ideas. I think it's a great opportunity for students coming into any health-related field.

You can check out their site for more details: http://www.health.umn.edu/facultystaff/oer/mrc/index.htm
I'm sure it's a group you'll find very exciting and they are always ready to welcome new members.

Hello!!

Hi,
My name is Pearl Ometan, I am an international student from Nigeria and I'm in my 2nd year student in the Master of Public Health (MPH) program in the School of Public Health.

I love to hang out with friends and share my experiences especially with new international students like me, who may be anxious about settling into a whole new environment.

While trying to find out more about the University of Minnesota before my arrival, I did not realize that there were also numerous international students like me doing the same thing. But I can say that it's been both fun and challenging to actually settle into the system and I hope many other students can say the same.

University of Minnesota.jpg

This page is an archive of recent entries in the -Pearl Ometan category.

-Natalia Krasnobeyava is the previous category.

-Yi Zhan is the next category.