Recently in - Marina Uehara Category

Feast of Nations 2012 - May 3rd

This is one of the biggest events in the cities! Check their info below:

(http://www.facebook.com/events/340045422720078/)

Join us for the annual Festival of Nations 2012, May 3 - 6 at the St. Paul RiverCentre!

Minnesota's largest ethnic Festival, the Festival of Nations brings together people from a vast array of backgrounds to celebrate their ethnic heritage and provides an opportunity to gain a deeper appreciation of other cultures. At the 2012 Festival of Nations, over 90 ethnic groups from around the world will share their foods, crafts, and traditions that form the mosaic of our American culture.

Beginning Friday, May 4th at 4:00pm, the Festival is open for the general public to enjoy until it ends on Sunday, May 6.

Public Hours:
- Friday, May 4 4 p.m.- 10 p.m.
- Saturday, May 5 10 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Sunday, May 6 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

ADVANCE Tickets:
- $10 Adults
- $7 Youth (6 to 16)

Advance tickets can be purchased through May 3 at Byerly's stores and the International Institute of Minnesota, 1694 Como Avenue, St Paul 55108

AT THE DOOR Tickets:
- $12.50 Adults
- $7 Youth

Ages 5 and under FREE with adult admission

More information at www.festivalofnations.com

Minneapolis Talent and Activities- Follow my friends' blog!

Minneapolis/St. Paul has one of the best scenery and is often voted as Top Cities to live in.

Read how Minneapolis/St. Paul was recently named America's Top Healthiest City in Forbes Magazine!
Are you a bike fanatic? Minneapolis was voted Number #1 City for biking in 2010!

And are you worried about those Freshman 15 everybody keeps talking about? Minneapolis was voted Fittest City in America

Now why would you now want to go out and check the scenery that Minneapolis and St. Paul has to offer? I was trying to find the BEST pictures of the Twin Cities, and I happen to find them at my friend's blog, "Two Loose Cannons"

You can follow them and see some of the best Minneapolis Pics and Photography talent I have seen here in the Twin Cities at: http://twoloosecanons.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/mini-minni/

Who doesn't want a "Mini Minni" in their own backyards!

Social Media and Homesickness

What has Social Media done to us!

We obviously cannot live without it. To name a few, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest (I just learnt about it today: Check this article!: Pinterest in Academia!)

We are all intricately connected: People from back home get a chance to see what we are doing one click away. So what does that mean for you as a college student? As an international student it means that you get to see what is happening at home faster (remember those days when you had to write a letter and mail it?) - and it also means that it may be easier to get homesick [click here for an interesting article on homesickness]

"[Homesickness] stems from our instinctive need for love, protection and security -- feelings and qualities usually associated with home, said Josh Klapow, a clinical psychologist and associate professor at the University of Alabama's School of Public Health. When these qualities aren't present in a new environment, we begin to long for them -- and hence home."

So how to we try to connect with others more? This is where the wonders of social media has allowed me to get more connected with those loved ones...

It means sharing memories like this :...

It means being able to share this with those who are far away...

So stay connected with the University, UMN site for social media!

Hopefully you will be able to connect with others through the various social media resources - and if you do get homesick you can always get help whether it is from your friends and family or from other University of Minnesota resources.

:)

New International Student Seminar tomorrow!

Tomorrow we will be having the New International Student Seminar (NISS) at the Mississippi Room in the Coffman Memorial Union in the East Bank of the University of Minnesota.

For the ambassadors in our team, it is a great way to connect with the current international students - and it is a rewarding way to share our experiences as well as sharing resources available on campus, so that they can succeed as international students!

For those of you who are prospective students, this is also a great opportunity to meet other international students - we have plenty of activities as well, and it does not hurt that food will be provided.

My favorite part is when the students share successful stories with each other - it is always nice and empowering to see students trying to help each other out.

What are some of the activities you would like to join or be part of? If you are a student on campus and would love to engage in activities like these, let me know!

See you next time,
Marina

Graduation... Is it happening?

I just got notification from the Graduate School that...

I am graduating from the School of Social Work!!!!

I will have to make sure that I send in all of my forms (just one paper), and buy my graduation gown and tassel.

I am quite excited about this - I will be graduating with a MSW degree (a master's in social work).

What are my plans?
Right now, I am trying to get all of my social work licensure figured out. Once I graduate, I will be able to apply for a LGSW or a LISW , which usually requires for one to have received a master's degree in social work.

How am I feeling? I am not quite sure how to describe it. I feel like I want to go on more schooling! Which has made me realize, maybe I want to do another degree? I will find out in a couple of months whether I got in this program I want to get in....

Wish me luck!

In the meantime, as we all become stressed over mid-terms, I want to send you some Elmo-love

Twitter?

I tweet... You tweet.... We tweet.....

Shouldn't it be time for the Ambassadors to get a Twitter account?

I think so too!

Follow us:

What I did not know about MN before coming here..

Here are the top 10 things I did not know about Minnesota before coming here!

10 - Minnesota's capital is not Minneapolis, but Saint Paul
9 - Bob Dylan was born in Duluth - I did my undergraduate studies in Duluth!
8 - Phở = best soup ever!
7 - Bubble tea = best fun tea ever!
6 - The weather ... Let's be honest... oh, and driving in the snow!
5 - The variety of foods and vibrant cultures in the Twin Cities
4 - Our mascot, Goldy, is not a squirrel nor a beaver... but a gopher
3 - Football and FUTBOL, ehem, are not the same sports...
2 - People have a hard time understanding that I am from Argentina.... hmmm... looks may be deceiving here....
1- In MN and all other states, when you have a "STOP" sign, you actually have to stop. Looking both sides of the street while driving through a STOP sign and blinking your lights may not be the smartest idea (thanks Dad.....^.^)

My tribulations as a social worker...

I often wondered why I decided to become a social worker. It is definitely because of the paycheck the social work values:

- service
- social justice
- dignity and worth of the person
- importance of human relationships
- integrity
- competence

I have incorporated these values into my every day life - and often think of what would have happened if I had never changed tracks. I started off my undergraduate degree in Biology, and I had an epiphany... I did not like Chemistry I felt like there was something missing in my life. How can I make a difference and still study in an area that I will enjoy, and not like in my high school laboratory, almost blowing up the lab because I "accidentally" turned the Bunsen Burner to the highest gas degree (I hope none of my high school science teachers are reading this!)

On a serious note, social justice was one of the key fundamentals that attracted me to this field. Not only changing communities is my passion, but understanding how to effectively change them so we can better our societies as well. Of course, I do get the once in a while comments that I am naive and that what I want is quite impossible, but I also have the support from my friends and family to keep on doing this. And the occasionally ridiculous stories that tag along.... maybe for next time!

The recipe to succeed...at the U!

Many students have asked what are some of the secrets to succeed at the University. And although there are some general recipes our there, this is my own personal one that I will share with you. I have used it for my undergraduate studies and have found that it has worked very well!

In order to concoct a recipe to succeed at the UofM, you will need:

1 cup of "Study Hard" mixed with "Pick a Major you Love" and "Be and Active Part of Your Education"
1 cup of "Rest" and "Take care of yourself" (blend well)
1 cup of "Be Proud of Who You Are"
2 cups of "Academic" and "Personal" growth - let rise at room temperature
Don't forget to add some "Healthy Eating (you can include your favorite foods from home here!)" and "Healthy Exercise"

Mix all of these together and add:
1/2 cup of "Be Nice to everybody even if you have a bad day", "But if you have a very bad day, talk to someone" and "If you don't feel like talking to someone, surround yourself with things you love"
1 tbsp of "Humility", "Leadership" and "Stand up for yourself"
3/4 tbsp of "Don't be afraid to ask for help" and "Get involved (sometimes outside your comfort zone" and "Make some new Friends"
A dash of "Organizational Skills" and "Effective use of resources on campus"

Sprinkle some "Fun" on it, and don't forget to add some "Don't be afraid to try new things" and "Go make your own adventures"

Let sit for 24 hours and cover with a whole pack of assorted flavor "Friends" and voila!
You have concocted my own special recipe to succeed at the University of Minnesota. Don't forget to add "Being part of an Awesome Group just like the International Student Ambassadors"

Don't be afraid to try it many times, and try new recipes as well! Why don't you share some of your tips?

This Fall semester is ending, so take care of yourself and hope you all do well in your finals! Winter break is almost here!

F-1 Visas, and a little bit of HUMOR!

Hello blog readers,

I have always cherished the humor that life brings upon us, and the following comic made me LAUGH! Please, take the comic with humor (and not seriously)... You might even relate to it.... well, maybe after you have been accepted to the University... (^___^)"

F-1 Visas procedures are difficult to understand sometimes, and it does add stress to new incoming students. Even students going back home and having to renew their visas, this is a stressful time as well. However, with a little bit of humor, I hope that you realize that although life might give you lemons, you can make lemonade out of it. We've all been through it at least once!

On a more serious note, if you do have questions about F-1 visas, please visit the ISSS office during walk-in hours or schedule an appointment to meet with an F-1 advisor.

In the meantime, sit back, enjoy and laugh at the difficulties we all international students face as we prepare our journeys to the United States. Perhaps this will help you feel more calm about the whole F-1 visa procedure!

f1.JPG

This page is an archive of recent entries in the - Marina Uehara category.

- Maki Inoue-Choi is the previous category.

- Sara Musaifer is the next category.