Recently in SOCIAL Category

Oh, academia!

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

When I went home, to Ukraine, this summer for a short break from my intense study, besides lots of fun, hugs and my mom's homemade food I got to experience quite an interesting communication struggle that I have never experienced before. Just as an example here, it took me almost two weeks to explain to my dad what it is that I study here in the US. And, trust me, my dad is quite smart. The problem was in the time gap between generations, countries, cultures created by advanced technologies and high mobility; the problem was also in me, trying to translate essential English words from my day-to-day academic life, words, inexistent yet in my native Russian or Ukrainian.

You see, I discovered that the education journey you are going on sometimes tends to carry you away from your "roots", from your family and people you knew before all of your academia or people you grew up with. How is that, you'd ask? Gradually, slowly you gain that smartness and sophistication; grow into an intelligent product of the higher education; experience variety of intercultural interactions, while your people back home live their own busy lives at their small towns' speed. But as long as you learn to appreciate your growth along with embracing your "roots", you'll find it very inspiring to be sometimes an ambassador of the new knowledge to your home.

For those of you who are very much into reading, I'd like to suggest this article on the topic that I found quite picturesque and interesting. Enjoy your "journey" wherever you are and never forget where you came from.

Lubrano-The_Shock_of_Education_How_College_Corrupts.pdf

Proud U of M parents.jpg

Minneapolis/St. Paul has one of the best scenery and is often voted as Top Cities to live in.

Read how Minneapolis/St. Paul was recently named America's Top Healthiest City in Forbes Magazine!
Are you a bike fanatic? Minneapolis was voted Number #1 City for biking in 2010!

And are you worried about those Freshman 15 everybody keeps talking about? Minneapolis was voted Fittest City in America

Now why would you now want to go out and check the scenery that Minneapolis and St. Paul has to offer? I was trying to find the BEST pictures of the Twin Cities, and I happen to find them at my friend's blog, "Two Loose Cannons"

You can follow them and see some of the best Minneapolis Pics and Photography talent I have seen here in the Twin Cities at: http://twoloosecanons.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/mini-minni/

Who doesn't want a "Mini Minni" in their own backyards!

Social Media and Homesickness

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

What has Social Media done to us!

We obviously cannot live without it. To name a few, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest (I just learnt about it today: Check this article!: Pinterest in Academia!)

We are all intricately connected: People from back home get a chance to see what we are doing one click away. So what does that mean for you as a college student? As an international student it means that you get to see what is happening at home faster (remember those days when you had to write a letter and mail it?) - and it also means that it may be easier to get homesick [click here for an interesting article on homesickness]

"[Homesickness] stems from our instinctive need for love, protection and security -- feelings and qualities usually associated with home, said Josh Klapow, a clinical psychologist and associate professor at the University of Alabama's School of Public Health. When these qualities aren't present in a new environment, we begin to long for them -- and hence home."

So how to we try to connect with others more? This is where the wonders of social media has allowed me to get more connected with those loved ones...

It means sharing memories like this :...

It means being able to share this with those who are far away...

So stay connected with the University, UMN site for social media!

Hopefully you will be able to connect with others through the various social media resources - and if you do get homesick you can always get help whether it is from your friends and family or from other University of Minnesota resources.

:)

This page is an archive of recent entries in the SOCIAL category.

RESOURCES is the previous category.