Recently in Homesickness Category

Social Media and Homesickness

What has Social Media done to us!

We obviously cannot live without it. To name a few, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest (I just learnt about it today: Check this article!: Pinterest in Academia!)

We are all intricately connected: People from back home get a chance to see what we are doing one click away. So what does that mean for you as a college student? As an international student it means that you get to see what is happening at home faster (remember those days when you had to write a letter and mail it?) - and it also means that it may be easier to get homesick [click here for an interesting article on homesickness]

"[Homesickness] stems from our instinctive need for love, protection and security -- feelings and qualities usually associated with home, said Josh Klapow, a clinical psychologist and associate professor at the University of Alabama's School of Public Health. When these qualities aren't present in a new environment, we begin to long for them -- and hence home."

So how to we try to connect with others more? This is where the wonders of social media has allowed me to get more connected with those loved ones...

It means sharing memories like this :...

It means being able to share this with those who are far away...

So stay connected with the University, UMN site for social media!

Hopefully you will be able to connect with others through the various social media resources - and if you do get homesick you can always get help whether it is from your friends and family or from other University of Minnesota resources.

:)

Still Feel Like Summer

While I put my thought to write this week blog, I could feel this is about to make me feel homesick. In anyhow, this week I am sharing everyone about my experience during the past winter break in my hometown Bangkok, Thailand. This is gonna be very random blog with lots of photographs, by the way. :D

Here were my checklist that I made from my trip:

-visited Phnom Penh, Cambodia and attend a Cambodian friend (of my family) wedding.

IMG_2752.jpg

sightseeing at S-21 Genocide camp in Phnom penh

IMG_2693.JPG

group dancing in the wedding I attended

-visited Northern Thailand including four provinces Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phrae, and Lumphang to meet my old roommate family (and she just delivered her baby!) Also visited my uncle and my aunt. Visited my parents' hometown.

P1051686.JPG

sightseeing at Baan Si Dum (Black House), Chiang Rai

P1051672.JPG

Meet a craftman while he was working

P1051684.JPG

The craftman's work will become at part of this sculpture

P1051683.JPG

Inside the main gallery of Baan Si Dum

387795_10150675096879202_516759201_11847896_1934024974_n.jpg

Four-people shot: My friend, my ex-roommate, Maple (in her belly at that time), and me

-visited the border of Thailand-Myanmar called "the golden triangle."

P1061694.JPG

The golden triangle gate to Myanmar

P1061689.JPG

Crowded market at the golden triangle

-visited two music colleges in Bangkok as a guest-lecturer

-visited temple to have the Buddhist ceremony for 100-year anniversary the pass-away of my great grand-mother (she was 102, by the way.)

-visited my grand-mother and other familty members(my father's side)

-spent time with my BIG FAT thai-chinese family(my mother's side) on Pre-chinese new year day.

327166_2365619114894_1682886746_1679144_464513181_o.jpg

my BIG FAT thai-chinese family (I try to imitate the "Big Fat Greet Family" movie :D)

-attended my best friend wedding. It was a triple-language wedding: thai, chinese, and english!

390730_10150428676280869_535905868_8729739_23137944_n.jpg

My friend and I and her new husband, her Bostonian college sweetheart <3

-attended my friend's vocal recital

405790_504995504545_174400076_30058574_729508273_n.jpg

congratulated my friend a baritone Ghittinant Chins after the recital

-meet my good old pals! (and lots of friends!)

401463_10151103751890632_723570631_22047648_1148900654_n.jpg

A dinner party with good old friends at one of their place

-visited the hospital multiple time to have the health checked up and a surgery (I am ok now.)

IMG_2884.jpg

Myself resting before the surgery

-had a dental checked

-had my haircut and permed

-thai massages

-watched thai movie

-more temples and palaces!

IMG_2954.jpg

The contrast between old and new building at the Suan Pakkard Palace, Bangkok

IMG_2956.jpg

Peacefulness inside the group of building in the Suan Pakkard Palace

IMG_2918.JPG

The Lacquer Pavilion where the interior is all painted in gold on black lacquer.

IMG_2921.jpg

I found a funny thai-culinary section in the painted wall

-shopping shopping and shopping!

-food food food!

IMG_2985.JPG

O-Sushi!: great japanese food, one of my favorite food, can be found every where around town, Bangkok

IMG_2871.jpg

Noodle is everywhere: noodle bowl ready to be served during busy lunchtime, Lumphang.

IMG_2825.JPG

Here is what facinating: the authentic thai-tea making station!, Phrae

IMG_2829.JPG

And the store-owner allowed me to finish making my own thai tea

-and fresh air!

Now, can you imagine that there were so many things to do, soooo many places to visit, and Soooooooo many people, friends and family to meet? I still cannot believe that it has been over! as I still can feel the summer vibes followed me back here to Minneapolis. To speak of, who would have thought that Minnesotans are having such a mild winter this year; What a nice way welcoming me back (fingers crossed...)

40 days hometrip it was such wonderful break! Beside that it gave me such a strong jet lack(con), not only it recharged my energy so much(pro) but also it made me realized how much more appreciation I gained in having my family, my friends, my culture, not to mention the sun, hot air, and the food!

Now the fact that I am expecting another year before graduate(finger crossed again), I imagine how much I will learn and will change in this last year being away from home?

Still feel homesick, yet still feel like summer;
::Banchinda::

Be happy for this moment

...this moment is your life.

Spring is in the air - and so is exam week. With mounting pressure from impending exams, with essays to write and projects to polish, with analyses to run and talks to present, how do we stay happy?

Crisis of Home Country

As most of you already know, my country, Japan is facing several crisis.

Who did forecast this situation? I had never even imagined it, and I am having feeling that i had never had before. I still feel like all of my heart, attention, and mind is not in the US but in Japan.

What do you think you do if your country has crisis during your study abroad...?

************************************************************

The magic word is...

Salam everyone,
I've missed you guys!! It's been a while since I last blogged. We had a little over a month off of school for winter break, and I decided to go back home to visit my family and friends. I haven't had a chance to travel back to Bahrain since I moved to the States to pursue my masters degree, that was about a year and a half ago. It was a wonderful trip and it was SO good to see my parents, my siblings, my cousins and some of my childhood friends again.

Home away from home

Salam Blog readers,
Our blog topic this week is: "Culturally Diverse You." As you can imagine, this is a huge subject and I can talk forever about this, but I will try my best to keep this blog as short as I can :)

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Homesickness category.

Friendship/Social life is the previous category.

Off campus activities is the next category.