Recently in Support/Resources on campus Category

The recipe to succeed...at the U!

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

Many students have asked what are some of the secrets to succeed at the University. And although there are some general recipes our there, this is my own personal one that I will share with you. I have used it for my undergraduate studies and have found that it has worked very well!

In order to concoct a recipe to succeed at the UofM, you will need:

1 cup of "Study Hard" mixed with "Pick a Major you Love" and "Be and Active Part of Your Education"
1 cup of "Rest" and "Take care of yourself" (blend well)
1 cup of "Be Proud of Who You Are"
2 cups of "Academic" and "Personal" growth - let rise at room temperature
Don't forget to add some "Healthy Eating (you can include your favorite foods from home here!)" and "Healthy Exercise"

Mix all of these together and add:
1/2 cup of "Be Nice to everybody even if you have a bad day", "But if you have a very bad day, talk to someone" and "If you don't feel like talking to someone, surround yourself with things you love"
1 tbsp of "Humility", "Leadership" and "Stand up for yourself"
3/4 tbsp of "Don't be afraid to ask for help" and "Get involved (sometimes outside your comfort zone" and "Make some new Friends"
A dash of "Organizational Skills" and "Effective use of resources on campus"

Sprinkle some "Fun" on it, and don't forget to add some "Don't be afraid to try new things" and "Go make your own adventures"

Let sit for 24 hours and cover with a whole pack of assorted flavor "Friends" and voila!
You have concocted my own special recipe to succeed at the University of Minnesota. Don't forget to add "Being part of an Awesome Group just like the International Student Ambassadors"

Don't be afraid to try it many times, and try new recipes as well! Why don't you share some of your tips?

This Fall semester is ending, so take care of yourself and hope you all do well in your finals! Winter break is almost here!

Road trip to...BOYNTON!

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

22.bmp

The advantages of attending a bigger University, such as the University of Minnesota, is that its health services are also bigger and more comprehensive. Being an International Student, having had the Boynton Health Insurance was really convenient.

As an international student, we are usually used to the Health Care in our countries - or health practices (such as drinking sprite when you have a cold, or taking a cold shower when you have a fever!). We are usually lucky to have our friends and family to take care of us - but when we are in the United States as international students, we sometimes don't have that support. Having an effective student health service center is essential when one is sick or needs additional support.

3.jpg

I recently had to visit the Boynton Services, and I got all of these services covered or mostly covered by our Student Health Insurance
-Eye exam (plus contact lens fitting)
-Left ankle X-ray
-Sore Throat check-up
-Right wrist pain check up
-Medications

I was also able to make appointment to see a Primary Care Physician (the doctor who will be your main/primary doctor), which is usually recommended to have (most of our Primary Care Physicians are back home, so having one in the US can be important!)

2.jpg

Just a reminder, the University of Minnesota now requires all international students, visiting scholars, and accompanying dependents to purchase the university's insurance - the Student Health Benefit Plan (SHBP).

It is flu season, so dress up, be warm, take care of yourself! Or you might have to take a trip to...Boynton!

See you next time!

Calling all students! We want to tell you about an exciting opportunity to explore more of Minnesota. Do camping, canoeing, campfires under the stars, making great new friends, and going to see new places sound fun to you? If so, ISSS invites you to join our Wilderness Week program to northern Minnesota.

Dates are August 18-22, 2011. This will be a great chance to meet students from all over the world. All international and US students (new and returning) are eligible. This is your chance to try (or try again) canoeing, hiking and camping in Minnesota! Enjoy campfires, stories, and time to meet new friends before the semester begins.

The cost of the trip is $395.00 per person. This price includes transportation, meals, group equipment, and guides.

For information email isssww@umn.edu, visit http://isss.umn.edu/programs/wildernessweek/ or call 612-626-7100.

Don't delay and miss your chance! When we talk with graduating students about what they wish they had done while at the U, exploring other areas of Minnesota and especially nature are top on the list.

01.JPG

Home away from home

| 8 Comments | No TrackBacks

Salam Blog readers,
Our blog topic this week is: "Culturally Diverse You." As you can imagine, this is a huge subject and I can talk forever about this, but I will try my best to keep this blog as short as I can :)

Multidimensionality

| 5 Comments | No TrackBacks

Hi everyone!
Last Saturday we had the first snowfall in Minnesota! We had about 7 inches (17.8 centimeters!) of snow where I live. Despite the snowstorm, I ventured out to the mall with my nephew and my cousin who I had promised to take to the mall last Saturday! Fun times:)
Today I want to talk about the multidimensionality of my experience as a graduate student at the University of Minnesota. I hope some of this helps you to get a glimpse of my opinion about the cultural diversity of the graduate student body at the U of M.
As an international student who has lived in the United States for six years, there are many ways that I define myself, and some of these may seem contradictory. However, If I had to choose one way to define myself I would say I am an African student. I think African student defines not only who I am physically but also my values, my lifestyle, and my academic interests. For example, I believe in the importance of humility and gratitude, I shop in both American and African grocery stores, and my academic interests are infectious disease prevention and health behavior in developing countries. There are a plethora of academic courses, presentations, and community activities that address these topics at the U and especially at the School of Public Health.

Why I <3 the U of M?

| 7 Comments | No TrackBacks

Salam everyone,
When I first thought about writing this blog, I wasn't sure how I was going to approach it, considering that I probably can't summarize ALL the reasons why I made that decision of coming to the University of Minnesota, but let me try to give this a shot anyways :P

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Support/Resources on campus category.

Others is the previous category.

The weather in MN is the next category.