Feel free to explore this blog but don't forget to visit our new blog as well!

Rah, rah, rah, for Ski-U-Mah
Rah! Rah! Rah! Rah!
Rah for the U of M!

M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A!
Minnesota, Minnesota!

WELCOME TO MINNESOTA c:

As we started the fall semester of 2009, the International Student Ambassadors Program welcomed our new 14 ambassadors, both undergraduate and graduate international students from all over the world!

We are very excited to share our academic and social lives at the University of Minnesota and of course to hear back from you! Feel free to explore this blog but definitely do not forget to also visit our new ones at:

1. Undergraduate Ambassadors Blog
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/widia004/isss/isa/undergraduate

2. Graduate Ambassadors Blog
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/widia004/isss/isa/graduate

Got some questions? Not to worry! Please do not hesitate to leave comments on the entries or ask us questions at:
http://passport.umn.edu/askastudent/question.html

Looking forward to hearing from you!!!

Salam,
. asa.

. T. H. A. N. K . . Y. O. U .

Sometime in October last year, I told my mom that I was appointed as the undergraduate student leader for the International Ambassadors program. She asked me about what I had to do with that position and I told her that I would be writing blog, replying emails from prospective students, and facilitating the bi-weekly meetings. But, I was wrong. It actually turned out to be something bigger than that.

Continue reading ". T. H. A. N. K . . Y. O. U ." »

Farewell For the Summer

This is my last blog before the summer. Thank you very much for reading my and our blogs throughout the semester. It has been a long semester and a long year, but believe me, time can fly when you are happy. The first semester was quite challenging for me. I had to deal with many things. The second was a lot better, and I would say that I really enjoyed it.

For those who are coming to the University of Minnesota next semester, I would like to congratulate you. You have got a great opportunity to be here. However, please keep in mind that life is not perfect sometimes. You may encounter a lot of problem throughout your first year here. Do not give up. Find some helps. There are a lot of people who can help you here. You might feel really confident now before you come, but anything can happen. Be ready for the changes that you are about to face. First year is always tough, but enjoy it because it can happen only once.

Good luck with your summer wherever you are. We will meet again next semester.

The past is but a prologue

I am back here in China, writing the farewell blog of this semester.
I haven’t got a chance to deal with the jet lag because I have been with the Carlson team here in Shanghai as a host/volunteer.
I know that the weather is super nice in Minneapolis right now because summer is already there.
I feel that I start to miss Minnesota.
I miss the celebration day of our Ambassador Program, as well as each ambassador (you are super cool)
I miss the school life after reading Gabriela’s farewell blog.

BUT
I have to make the most out of the summer time in my hometown, enjoy the family time as well as the wild parties with friends, otherwise, there would be tons of stuff to miss in the future.

AND
I look forward to meeting you ALL as new students in the U.
I hope everything goes well for you to get prepared coming to the U.
I want to thank ALL friends who have been reading our blogs.

IF
I got a chance to keep sharing my experience and helping new students, I would definitely go for it.

I leave you with this quote by Mary Anne Radmacher and I think she captures all of what I was trying to say to you.

"Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Appreciate your friends. Continue to learn. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is."

Farewell

It comes the time to say goodbye. Thank you for reading my postings, writing comments, and sending me your questions by email that I was always more than happy to reply. I truly hope this information will be (sooner than what you think) useful. When you enter into a new environment such as the University of Minnesota, you definitely learn new things to daily operate.

My last advice to you is to enjoy learning (if such thing is possible hehe) while you are at the U, and to make the most out of it. Now that I have graduated, I feel like I already miss it (what a dork! you may think..., but hey,it’s true). Learning is always fun if you like what you do, even with all the long days/nights reading until late AMs. When the day to graduate comes, the feeling is overwhelmingly unforgettable…so much happiness!

Good luck! You will all do awesome! See you all down the road :)

-Gabriela

Emergency

Sometime back, my friend had trouble with his muscles in the back. It happened all of a sudden when he was crossing the road and he couldn't even move. With much difficulty he crossed the road to reach the sidewalk and called me on my phone. I reached to the location where he was lying not knowing what to do. After much hesitation, I called 911 as we were not sure how serious should an issue be to call 911.

Continue reading "Emergency" »

How to Get Help From Boynton Health Service

During your college career, there might be some time that you feel that you need to see a doctor. If so, one of the best place to go is Boynton Health Service. Boynton Health Service is a clinic that has served university community for over 90 years. It is located right next to Coffman Memorial Union. I just got help there the other day, so I would like to share my story so that you would know what you have to do if you need help.

Continue reading "How to Get Help From Boynton Health Service" »

SMART Learning Commons

There are many resources at the University of Minnesota that can help you succeed. The one that I would like to recommend here is an academic assistance service called the SMART Learning Commons.

slc.gif

Continue reading "SMART Learning Commons" »

Internet-based tools -important websites to learn-

Once you have started classes, you will need to quickly pick up new tools. You will familiarize with many codes for classes, building names, make new friends, important website’s URLs to check your grades etc. We (international ambassadors) have been written on how to make new friends, places to visit, etc. But we didn’t talk about Internet-based tools! ….. And we all use it every single day! The University of Minnesota and every Department, Office, or Library has its own special website where you will find official information about your grades, registered courses, available textbooks at the library, events, and so much more information!

There are a few websites that I would talk about in this article because I am more than sure that you will use them either because as professor ask you to do so, or because the information it provides is really helpful. The names of this websites are: MyU, OneStop, ITLABS, Library, ISSS, and the UofM E-mail.

Certainly I can write down an extraordinary b-i-g list with all of the websites I daily use, but I don’t want to make you (the reader) feel overwhelmed. I promise that little by little you will find and add to your list of favorites as the days go by.

One-Stop-Ticket_bent.jpg

Continue reading "Internet-based tools -important websites to learn-" »

Basketball NBA

Last Wednesday, I went to a basketball NBA game!! It was at the Target Center in downtown Minneapolis, just 10 minutes from the campus (by bus). The game was the last game of the season and it was between Minnesota Timberwolves and Sacramento Kings.

P1030397 2.JPG

Continue reading "Basketball NBA" »

Any hi-tech application in the teaching process?

Are you wondering whether or not you will be able to see cool stuff, or maybe be part of something cool?!? Depending on your major, there maybe some opportunities you should absolutely not miss!

Continue reading "Any hi-tech application in the teaching process?" »

5GB NetFiles Storage

I don’t think many students know this but current Staff, Faculty and Students are eligible for a NetFiles account. I have been used it for a while and I feel it’s convenient especially when you do not have a flash drive with you when printing in the computer lab.
- Step 1
To activate your account go to your internet account options page at https://www.umn.edu/myaccount. If you are eligible for an account, the internet account options page will have a link for "NetFiles account options". Follow that link and agree to the information there to activate your account.
- Step 2
After activating your account you can log in to the system at https://netfiles.umn.edu.

Health & Dental Insurance In America

University Health Insurance
When you come to study at the university of Minnesota, you’re required to purchase a health insurance from the university. The university insurance covers 80 % out of your medical expanse. The biggest reason why you need to purchase the university insurance is that an insurance company in your country might not cover whole medical expense here. It’s because medical cost in America can be quite different and extremely expensive compared to many other countries.

Continue reading "Health & Dental Insurance In America" »

Ever heard of the Minnesota State Fair?

Or ever heard of such thing as a state fair at all!?!? The Minnesota state Fair is one of the biggest gatherings in Minnesota during the summer. The main attraction of the fair is all the varieties of food, livestock and art that are presented. There are other activities such as concerts, science fair or marathon. It usually takes place in Saint Paul on the Fairgrounds near the Saint Paul Campus of the University of Minnesota and lasts twelve days, from late August to Labor Day (first Monday of September).

Continue reading "Ever heard of the Minnesota State Fair?" »

Ten Things to Do on Campus on Weekends...

Weekends are great time for students to take a rest from classes. Apart from studying, cleaning the room, and doing laundry, there are also many other things to do on campus. Let's see my list of Ten Things to Do on Campus on Weekends.

Continue reading "Ten Things to Do on Campus on Weekends..." »