« I speak Canadian | Main | Still hesitating? Check this out! »

Making the right decision!!

It is time for most people to decide which University to go to after receiving their acceptance letter from the universities that they have applied. Some will be accepted to all the universities while others will have fewer acceptances from the universities. Thinking back on how I decided to pursue my Bachelor degree in U of M, I always laugh at myself.

To make the long story short, I am a sponsored student and my sponsor chose U of M as the right university for me. I only applied to U of M and also Colorado School of Mines to pursue a degree in Geophysics, and got accepted to both of the U. I also applied to Imperial College in United Kingdom for a Geology degree by myself and also got accepted. But in the end, my sponsor chose U of M, and little did I know the reason why until I arrived here in 22 August 2005.

I should have known that my sponsor would not make any decision without carefully consider each option. They sponsored around 230 students a year to study abroad in United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand and not to forget United States. At first, I was a bit sad not being able to go to Imperial College in UK as it is one of the best college for geology. But once I started my study here, in U of M, I changed my mind completely.

First of all, our department here, Department of Geology and Geophysics is a small department, with a total of around 50 students doing an undergraduate degree. All the faculties are very helpful and friendly, and they even help me to get an apartment in University Housing, as well as get me admitted along with my 8 other colleagues, We applied to the U pretty late, around June if I'm not mistaken, and yet we still got accepted, and assigned an apartment in University Village. The department also assigned one faculty to take care of us, and continuingly provide us with useful information. They even gave us a ride from our apartment to the departmental picnic in St. Paul, just to make sure we will be involved in the department activities. One time, the professor and the head department invite us to a dinner in Peninsula restaurant (the only Malaysian's restaurant in Minneapolis!) and best of all, it’s on the house!

Just basing my judgment on the department and my sponsor's decision, I know that I have made the right decision by coming here at U of M to do my Bachelor of Science degree. There are also other factors that later on reaffirmed my decision such as the fact that this University is very big, thus allow you to take a lot of other unrelated courses for your enrichment. Another good news, next semester, U of M Twin Cities will cut their undergraduate tuition fee for nonresident (including international student) from USD 9790 to USD 7975 per semester in Fall 2008.

Current undergraduate tuition rate
New undergraduate tuition rate for Fall 2008

I like what you guys are up also. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the excellent works guys Iˇ¦ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my website :)