« Tough classes... :( | Main | Second Home »

TALK talks!

As an international student, you may be worried about your English as I was.

I still remember how I freaked out the first time I took the discussion class, unlike the lecture when we listen to the professors, the discussion is your time to speak out. Even though I had done with all the reading material required before the discussion, I still find it so hard to follow.

There are several reasons for that.
First of all, it is true that native speakers talk faster compared to English learners, and sometimes even though you have catch up what they are talking about, it is still hard to get into the discussion. At this time, you will really get to know the difference between listening and speaking.

By now, you may get frightened! Please don’t.
All is just a matter of time. You’ll be just fine as I am now.

There are several steps you can take:

Don’t keep silent in discussion. You may feel embarrassed if you say something wrong. It is OK. The point is you are expressing yourself, it does not matter whether it makes sense or not.

It will be very helpful if you take the ESL (English as a second language) class. UM has so many amazing ESL instructors that are right here to help you. Furthermore, ESL class is a great place to meet other international students, who are “suffering? from English learning as you are. You just find out you are not alone.

Besides, we have an excellent language partner program where you can find native speakers to practice your English. Isn’t it fascinating! Take me for example, whenever I come across some expressions hard to understand, my partner always offers great help! And it is not just practicing language, also a great way to make new friends!

As the old saying goes, “Practice makes perfect?. As long as you practise English everyday, you’ll be just as confident in speaking English as in speaking your mother tongue!