« Snowboarding & Skiing in Minnesota | Main | Hello, everyone!!!! »

My email reply to a Star Tribune writer

Recently, I was contacted by a writer from Star Tribune, discussing how and why I decided to study in the U. I post my reply here in order to give more information to people who are interested. I would like to share more with you if you have follow-up questions.

Q: I read on your ambassadors page that you're a sophomore accounting major in the Carlson School of Managment. Is that correct?

Tell me a little bit about high school. Were you an accomplished student?
At what point did you begin considering coming to the U.S. to study? How did you first hear about the U? I read that there was an informal welcome session -- Did you attend that before or after you applied to the U?
What was that welcome session like? Could you describe it? (How many U representatives were there? What kinds of things did they tell you? What kinds of questions did you ask?) Did you know of other people who had attended the University of Minnesota? What else factored into your decision? I read that you received a Global Excellence Scholarship?

A: Yes now I am a sophomore accounting major in Carlson.

I believe that I am an accomplished student in my high school, especially outside of the classroom. I was kinda into social activities and always initiated to try new things. I began considering coming to the U.S. to study when I noticed that one of my schoolmate who was in the higher grade got the offer from Harvard. I learned that he actually applied for the U himself with no study abroad experience. I was amazed and I started to learn the process such as how to get a TOEFL score and what the other key things that the U here is looking for. The more I knew, the more I felt that I am the person who fits the U.S. education system well, for example, the leadership experience and creativity that people are encouraged to have here while Chinese education system requires more cramming work.

I heard about U of M when I was looking at the ranking at Princeton Review. Actually I did some research on the first 70 public universities in the U.S. based on the Internet resource and then I picked 10 of them to apply for. The informal welcome session that offered by the U in Shanghai was the first time for me to be so close to the staffs from the U. I regarded it as a good chance to get to know the real info instead of the ambiguous one from the Internet. There were people from ISSS and also some alumni. Two of them were Chinese who taught in the U. I think there were about 10 people in total. They started with the power point slides, introducing the U and followed by Q&A session. Most of the questions that Chinese students and parents asked were about the campus life, as well as twin cities such as the weather.

However, what I considered most was the academic aspect of the program. The quality of the program is way more importent than weather here. I contacted some students who were already got into Carlson at facebook, especially the Chinese students. They kinda provided me some insights and the big picture.

Finally, I got 4 offers from the Universities/Colleges in the U.S. and the reason I chose Carlson was mostly about the good-ranking at that point of time. and yes the global excellence scholarship attracted me as well.

Did I answer most of your questions? Feel free to email back if you need me to provide further information.

Have a nice weekend.

Stella

w867vQ