« Women in Computer Science...this is for YOU! | Main | Career Center at University of Minnesota »

. i miss my mom but...

...i know i'm gonna be just fine ^0^

Last winter break, I went back to Indonesia to visit my family and friends and to also have the most amazing food ever (let me know if you're thinking about visiting Indonesia, I might be able to take you around >o<). I got back here on the 20th of January and was struggling with homesickness for about a week. That's why I thought it would be a good idea to write about how I dealt with it.

Homesickness is very common among international students. A wonderful home deserves to be missed, doesn't it? Yet it is also a rare opportunity for growth, so we gotta take advantage of it!

When I was about to leave Indonesia in the first place, it was actually tougher than I thought. I knew that I was going faraway and would miss my family, especially with the jet-lag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_lag. Then when I got to Minneapolis, culture shock hit me pretty hard. My mom always tells me to think of challenges as opportunities to grow as a wiser and stronger person; therefore, I did not want to give up that fast. I decided to:

1. Stay in touch with my family!

I grew up in a family-oriented family ^^ It is important for me to tell my family how I am doing and to know how they are doing back home. Since the technology is growing rapidly, it is very possible for me to talk to them through emails and facebook (a networking website-check out their website at http://www.facebook.com), to hear their voices (I personally like to make a phone call over the internet by using SKYPE http://www.skype.com), and to see their faces (via web camera). Sometimes I feel like I want to talk to them through phone, then what I do is just purchase a telephone card which is available in any grocery stores here.

2. Stay focus on why I am here!

I am here to learn something. It does not mean that I study all the time because learning here could also be interpreted as learning how to manage my time (I learned to start doing my assignments beforehand so I could talk to my professors or TA if I need more explanations on those), how to build good relationships with other people, how to cook for myself, how to get a direction to a place, etc. When I miss home, I like to use that homesickness as a motivation. Since I miss spending time with my family, I do not want to waste my time here.

3. Step out of my comfort zone!

College is not always about GPA (Grade Point Average), it is also about networking. University of Minnesota provides me that. Since it is a big and diverse school, it has hundreds of student groups which hold events through out the year (check out the list of the student groups here: http://www.sua.umn.edu/groups/directory/index.php?group_by=name). Since there is something going on on campus, I like to keep my eyes open when I walk between classes (there are posters of events everywhere) because I personally like to meet new people and get involved with campus activities. Attending some of those events has definitely helped me meeting new friends, who has been my second family here, and finding a place where I belong, a place where I feel just like home.

p.s. Please feel free to leave any comments in my blog (questions? agreements? disagreements?) and hope to see you guys around the University of Minnesota soon ^0^

Salam,
-asa-

Big hug Asa! You are amazing.

New students are lucky to have you as a resource and we are luckty to have you as an ambassador!

. big hug too Beth.

. i feel fortunate to work with you and be a resource for our prospective students.

As I have explained, this is a business tool. It’s not a miracle machine. It could effortlessly turn into one more expense unless you put the persistence into finding out how to exploit it.

F*ckin’ awesome issues here. I am very glad to see your post. Thanks so much and i'm having a look ahead to touch you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?