« Professional Degrees at the University of Minnesota | Main | Diary of Asa: Preparing Departure to the US (Part 1) »

Ready for school in mind and body?

No time to exercise during the semester?
I had the same problem that maybe many of you are having regarding to exercising and controlling your health, especially when we have little time to even get some sleep! I know that particular intervals of time during the semester you will not even think about getting close to the treadmill or the gym in general. I did this same mistake the first 3 semesters. Then I started to fill so tired, and completely bored of doing nothing but school related stuff. So at the beginning of this semester I changed my mind, and a little bit my schedule. I was determined to be healthier not only physically, but mentally too.
I will talk in this blog about working out and jump into the bike, and getting some quality time to relax and make new friends! It is amazing what happens when you open your circle of places, people, and activities just a little bit more ;)

I started working out in the gym that I have on my building, but it didn’t work out. It was too small so I got very easily bored of doing the same machines (the same two as always) and for one reason or another one, they were easily and very frequently out of order. This is how I started to look up for new places to have a one-hour working out place. Each one of us surely have a completely different story of why or how got into working out, but I will assume that we all enjoy it and at the end of the day, we all understand and feel the good results of doing it.
So I joined the UofM gym. First I was not too enthusiastic about walking a little bit more than usual to get to the gym, especially with all this cold weather! (Although this last few weeks it is so much better outside….that I don’t want to stay in). But I was decided to find fun activities to do while working out.
The first few days I was a little shy. I only used the machines…but aren’t they bored?!!! OMG! Until I learned that they have a spring program called Fitness. What a change!! I sleep better, I feel better, more active, with a little extra motivation to do homework, reading, programming (I am in the Computer Science field), preparing presentations, etc. It is not magic, of course. But little by little I notice how many new things I have tried, new friends I have, and in general I am doing even better academically speaking.
Engineering and computer scientist students we all know that we spend much of our time sitting, programming, reading, etc. We have tons of statistics that some of us will develop health issues regarding to posture, weight, even sleeping! And even though I don’t have a good understanding about other majors, I will get ahead of statistics and take my chances to say that other major’s students also have similar situations. Can I suggest something?Maybe start by taking only 40 minutes to walk, run, spin, or/and do any sport of your choice. You will spend 10 minutes changing clothes, and you will be ready to continue your day after another 10 minutes to have some water and something light but healthy to eat. Try to do it 3 times a week at any time that works the best for you and your schedule. The gym is free! And it has very flexible hours so that you can get there at “any” time of the day. Did you know we have a huge swimming pool, more than 15 racquetball courts, two different places to play basquetball, tennis, in-site running? They also provide to us lockers to secure all your belongings and showers?
They also offer classes (for a small fee), these are the ones I like the most. They have several programs but the one I enjoy the most is the Fitness program; they offer Cardio Dance, Spin, TNT, Get On The Ball (GOTB), Pilates, Yoga, Boxing, Complete Core, The Ride (which is a very fun class to pedal on the bikes), Step, etc. I made a link here if you want to read more about it.
I remember so many people saying that as humans we need to exercise both sides of our brain, the right side and the left side. Each one help us to perform different activities, and to have the opportunity to develop and enhance each and every single one of our skills and talents bring us a feel of completeness, confidence, a healthier body and mind, encourages us to try new things, distraction, and happiness!
So please give it a try  do things that you like the most and that will also keep you healthier through the entire semester! Keep up with the studies and take care of your health as well. We certainly don’t need to wait until we are having health issues to start taking a little bit more care of ourselves.

Yeah ThX Gabrila.I get lots of information from your passage.And would you please send my the web address of Ftness prgrams and other several ones.I think the first place I will visit when I reach UM will be the sports stadium.Anyway THx for your help.

Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your site is so cool. I'm impressed by the details that you have on this blog. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found just the info I already searched everywhere and just could not come across. What a perfect website.