Workshops and Events at the U

This is my last semester at the U of M, and I just turned in my first draft thesis to my advisor yesterday. Phew! It was a long journey of writing. Not easy, but definitely rewarding. I feel good and am happy to be back on this blog.

When I reflect on my two-year student life, I think about the amount of resources and opportunities available on campus. There are a variety of workshops, events, information sessions, and online resources, which you want to take full advantage of. For example, today I attended this workshop called, "Formatting the International CV/Résumé to the American Job Market." It was very informative and specific, clarifying how international students need to prepare their CV/Résumé in a culturally appropriate and effective way in the U.S.

I have listed some of the useful links below. You may get very busy with your own course work and projects, but keep an eye out for those events and resources that you will benefit from. There are a lot of additional opportunities out there!

Continue reading "Workshops and Events at the U" »

Need a mentor as a business student?

Life is tough for international student especially during our first year. We need to adjust to the life style here quickly, as well as the academic environment. That is why we need some experienced ones to be with us when we are not able to overcome the troubles. As a Carlson student, I would like to recommend two programs that mean a lot to me at some point.

-Carlson Buddies Program
In my freshmen year, I was involved in Carlson Buddies Program as a “little buddy”. Each “little buddy” matches with a “big buddy” based on the major and interests etc. I felt that I really enjoyed the time being with my “big buddy”. She, as a senior student in Carlson shared a lot of information and knowledge with me not only about the learning experience inside the classroom but also the opportunities outside the school. Furthermore, she introduced her friends to me and her friends might also hang out with me with their friends together which is called networking for all of us. I benefited a lot from it. The best thing of the program for me is that I still keep contact with my “big buddy” these days and the lifelong friendship is the most valuable thing that I took away from the program.

-Carlson Mentorship Program
Carlson Mentorship Program looks similar with the Buddies Program. However, the difference is that you will be matched with a successful professional from the Minneapolis/St. Paul business community or a professional outside of Minnesota. No wonder that the stories they talked about would be different from the ones that my “big buddy” told me. I always felt excited for my future with them because they just gave me too much insights and ideas. I enjoyed the feeling of being refreshed in mind. Because they are more “adult”, I would be more willing to expose my mistakes because they are more likely to understand me. Don’t be hesitated to ask, otherwise you miss the key part of the program.

Find Help from Student Organizations

If you’re an admitted student, it’s time to try to contact the student organizations at the University of Minnesota. It’s always very difficult and confusing to plan to study abroad at first. You must have a lot of questions and need a lot of help. Student organizations might be the best resource where you find answers and get help.

Continue reading "Find Help from Student Organizations " »

All about Leadership

This time I would like to introduce you the Leadership Minor and the First-year Leadership Institute that I was in last year.

- First of all, I don’t think many people know the Leadership Minor.
http://www1.umn.edu/lead/minor/
I took the first course PA 1961W Personal Leadership in the University in my freshman year and I got 100% overall. I chose to take the online version and I felt extremely comfortable with the teaching environment online and the way the instructor teaches. The second step course is PA 3961 which is for Junior and above. There are only 4 courses that are required to complete the program. Please check the web that above to know more if you are interested.

- I was also involved in the First-year Leadership Institute that I strongly encourage freshmen to join.
http://www.lead.umn.edu/first-year/participants_2008.html
“It is a new program offered through the Office for Student Engagement and Leadership and is one of the premier leadership development opportunities offered for first-year students. Each year, a select group of 20-25 first-year students will join this semester-long program that is designed to enhance leadership skills; foster intrapersonal, interpersonal, ethical and moral development; and connect first-year students to the University of Minnesota and the surrounding communities.��?

At the beginning of the semester, we had a weekend retreat as an opening ceremony for the program. It impressed me a lot; 20 of us were living together, talking and knowing each other. Then it followed by the weekly meetings. Basically, we learn about leadership from guest speakers, discussions and activities. The campus engagement project that we were required to accomplish by the end of the program was a real practice to check what and how well we learned. Each group picked our own idea such as how to improve the U’s tunnel system. Throughout the program, we also got a mentor who was previously in the similar leadership program. For me, I think it is to build a long-term relationship with the person that I can learn from. I really enjoyed the time that the 20 “leaders��? spent together over a semester.

Women in Computer Science...this is for YOU!

I should talked about this topic a loooooong time ago, I am sorry about it. I missed one of the Ambassadors meetings because of this conference, actually. This conference is one of the most popular ones in Computer Science, and it has a particularity: it is made by and for women! The Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computer Science annual conference takes place in different and exciting locations that always surprises everyone!

This special conference is oriented to Master and PhD female students in Computer Science or related fields.

Continue reading "Women in Computer Science...this is for YOU!" »

gopher games

last week i had a work shift at the william's arena where the basketball games were being held. i work with the university dining services in the catering department. it is such an easy and fun job, and it fits perfectly into your school schedule. so it was last week, for the first time in 4 years, i watched the gophers play. the enormous crowd present, the college spirit everywhere, cheering for our team, goldy the gopher (our mascot) doing his stunts, so much noise, music and energy......the environment was great. after setting up the club room with soooooooo much food that was ordered, all of us student workers were practically free ...so we sat in a top row suite and watched the bball game.

i must admit it was the first time ever i felt the excitement for the gophers. i wanted us to win which we did easily. it was then that i realised, i had missed out so much in all these school activites and games, i missed all this fun and moments of school spirit. fortunately, the ice hockey season is on and i am trying my best to wrap my head around it. it does look like a very rough game....but its fun i suppose.

Continue reading "gopher games" »

Invitation to Small World Coffee Hour

I work as one of the staff members at Small World Coffee Hour and want to
introduce this great event on U of M campus.

SWCH at art center.JPG

Continue reading "Invitation to Small World Coffee Hour" »

If you are a movie freak...

University of Minnesota is such an awesome place! A few days back, it snowed a bit. I'm from a place where the least temperatures there are equal to the maximum temperatures here. So, snowing at my place is a distant dream. With all this, I thoroughly enjoyed the first snow fall, but I was told that its just the beginning! Now, let me get back to the topic of movies.

Continue reading "If you are a movie freak..." »