. i miss my mom but...

...i know i'm gonna be just fine ^0^

Last winter break, I went back to Indonesia to visit my family and friends and to also have the most amazing food ever (let me know if you're thinking about visiting Indonesia, I might be able to take you around >o<). I got back here on the 20th of January and was struggling with homesickness for about a week. That's why I thought it would be a good idea to write about how I dealt with it.

Continue reading ". i miss my mom but..." »

festival-time to celebrate

one of the things i miss the most being away from home, is our festival season. the time to celebrate, eat, drink and make merry and to be with your loved ones. our main festival of the year is dashain which started on september 30th until october 14th. i had been having a really hectic week with school, all the assignments, studio reviews and quizes, i was really to unwind for the weekend. so on the 11th of oct, saturday we decided to have our 'dashain' feast with the 'tika' ceremony.

1.jpg

Continue reading "festival-time to celebrate" »

Family Visit

As an international student it can sometimes be hard to be away from home. I personally only go home once a year for Christmas, and even in the summer usually have to live away from home in order to be able to work and train for hockey. I don't get to see my family very much, and in my first year at the University of Minnesota, that was a bit difficult to get used to. A week ago, my sister came to visit for the first time in two years, and I realized how funny it was, that since I moved away, we have become so much closer......

Continue reading "Family Visit" »

Insights

U.S culture varies for everyone depending on which culture you belong to. Coming from Pakistan, U.S culture seemed entirely different to me, especially the social norms. But the thing is that being internationals it is in our best interest to adapt the culture as soon as possible and get used to it to feel oneself as a part of where we will be living for the next couple of years or more. Things become easy if you try to make as many friends as possible and the key is that "Be the first one to introduce". People here like to help but you want to be able to ask for it. So don't be shy and just express yourself, you will be adored. Trust me time would fly by and you will be back home, if you want to, before you even get a chance to get homesick.

feel troublesome? just ask for help!

Hey, everyone, I just got back from Florida. The weather there was wonderful. Everything was like in a beautiful dream. However it is time to come back to the real life in Minnesota!

Continue reading "feel troublesome? just ask for help!" »