Welcome to This Big Family!

Hello everyone! My name is Jia Guo. I feel quite honored to join this big family as an International Ambassador. I will endeavor my efforts to serve all International newcomers, hoping to make you feel loved here as a part of a big family.

First off, let me introduce myself. I am from Qingdao, China. My hometown is a quite beautiful city located near the sea. If you are not familiar with it, I believe that you must remember the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. Yeah! Our city was the companion city of Beijing as a place for sailing games. Also, it produces the well-known Qingdao Beer. In the summer, we Qingdao-ers would love to enjoy the delicious seafood with the fresh Qingdao Beer. It is exhilarating! So, if you visit China someday, I strongly recommend you to visit my city.

OK, let me switch gears! You want to learn more than that about me, right? I am an undergraduate student majoring in journalism. This is my second semester at the U of M. I transferred here from China, and am a junior now. When I arrived here, to be honest, I didn't feel that there were too many difficulties that bothered me. It seemed that everything went well. Now, looking back and finding out the reason why I felt good, I realize that it is my friend that helped me transit a lot more smoothly. He gave me a lot of suggestions before I came here, picking me up at the airport when I arrived, helping me with basic things such as getting my U card and telephone card in the following days. Speaking from experience, under the wing of my former alumni, I can say that this program is quite effective for international newcomers to adapt well, transit well and finally, make an achievement at the U. Now, I believe that now it is my turn to be that guide that plays a part as a bridge connecting you to this University.

I have a lot of interests. The first and favorite one is speaking. I love this kind of feeling, standing in front of a big audience, expressing my thoughts and feelings to them. That is the reason that I choose journalism as my major. Besides that, I love singing, especially Chinese folk songs. I took voice lessons in China. I believe that music has no borders. So, if you love music, we can find some time to get together. It is a good choice to relax.

I hope that I can use my passion, my enthusiasm and my persistence to serve new international students well. I believe that helping international newcomers to have a smoother transition to the University of Minnesota and to encourage them with their studies are just some of the things I would do as my part as an ambassador.

At last, if you have any concerns or questions, please e-mail me at guoxx238@umn.edu. I wish you the best of luck and that you have a wonderful time here at the University of Minnesota!

hi friend good to read your very inspiring story i realize we have very many things in common oh sorry i come fropm kenya do you know kenya? its avery beautiful country in east africa i come from a poor backgroung can u give me any information on scholarships from youer university i want to study journalism like you>

Everyone can make money from domains. It has the potential to generate serious returns on your capital and for a very small capital outlay. It's probably the only industry where you can literally turn just a few dollar or pounds into something very substantial indeed.

Hi, nice to know you! Came from china! near Beijing where I often visit!, and I have some friends there in Beijing. Its good you chose UM , We might see each other if I will pursue my graduate study.

I wish you all the best!! Happy New Year!!!

gigi

Could you contact with me by QQ?119940683 Thanks!

Hi! Wow~ I think we are really common in hobbies. I'm also from china.Now,I'm planing to go to this university as a ungraduate student and I want to major in media.But I'm a little confused that whether the media in this school is good .I prefer the music and editting films.Can I learn them at the university? I'm looking forward to hearing from you!thanks a lot~please sent me E-mail when you are avalible/

What is your Email?
I have some questions to ask you.
Thank you.

I am thinking about transfering to UM next spring semester. I am currently in a university in Tennessee. I am not familiar with UM. I need some information to help me with my transfering. Would you help me out? If possible, we can discuss about it by QQ. Here is my QQ:381172307