Survive the U 101: introduction to Housing Hunting!!

Choosing a living place is a great great deal.
Before I started my college life at the U in Spring, I had been told that there were no dorm rooms left. Then, I lived off-campus and commuted a long way to the campuses - taking two buses for one hour to get to the campus. Yes, I was so excited to move out!

I want to talk about off-campus housing here since it is difficulty for people who live far away from the Twin Cities, and of course outside the U.S., to find living places outside the campus. Please keep in mind that this information is just a few of many ways to find living places, but I hope this will give you some ideas.

How to search?

1. Go to "The Housing and Residential Life" Website
One their website, there is a page which explains off-campus housing.
I think that this page gives you ideas about how much you should expect to pay for rent, some criteria for choosing, temporary housing, etc.
They also have a section where you can search for off-campus housing.

2. Check "Craigslist"
Craigslist is another good place to look at. Craigslist is also very useful for finding good deals on furniture or other necessities.

3. Visit actual locations
Often there are flyers posted on the bulletin board of apartments. People sometimes look for somebody to take over their place or roommates in this way. If you have specific places in mind, it is a good idea to go and check if there are anyone looking for roommates or subleases. Always make sure to meet a person who posted the flyer and check a room.

Also, followings are some points to look at when you search for housing!

Points to check before deciding!

These are a few of many points to ask yourself when searching for housing:
- Is it close or easy to get to the campuses?
- Do campus connectors (free bus that connect all the campuses) stop nearby?
- Are bus stops close?
- Is it close to grocery shops?
- Is the place safe?
- Is your roommate/s reliable and/or have similar living patterns?
- Does the rent include parking (if you have a car)? If not, how close is the nearby parking ramp and how much?
- Is the room furnished? (If not, you have to buy or find furniture)
- What is the duration of the contract? Check the ending date!

Must-do when you move in!!
- Check for any items, amenities or facilities and get them repaired before moving in!
- Take pictures with date for records!
- Document repair requests if necessary!

These look overreactive, but there are cases that students are charged a huge amount of money when they move out even though they are not their fault. Remember that renting a place involves legal issues. It is important to keep records of your room at the beginning to prevent yourself from any unexpected charges.

Thank you so much for reading this looong post!
Just to remind you that these are just examples. There are many ways to find a living place, so keep your eyes open!

090303_2.jpg

Good luck on finding a best place for you and please feel free to ask me questions!!
I will see you later~

Megumi! This is so nicely written. Great job putting these information together. I like the cute dog house picture, too :)