Bike, Biker, Biking

Trivia fact about city of Minneapolis:

Rank #1 for the Bicycle-Friendly City based on bicycling.com

Oh!! If you already knew that, you must also know this:

Minneapolis has approximately 165 miles of on-street and off-street bikeways

Indeed, bike is one of the main and popular transportation for U of M students to get to and around the campus. I am also a biker and I DO really enjoy biking here.

There are several reasons why I opt biking for short-distance commuting (within 0-3 miles) rather than other type of transportation:

• Cheap! You just need to buy the good-enough bike to ride on and once-in-a-while maintenance.

• Healthy! Honestly, I rarely do sports because I’m really busy with study and my other activities. So, if you have limited time like me, biking at least 15-20 minutes daily is enough as your aerobic exercise.

• Convenient. I love biking because it has so much convenience. I just need to find one bike rack out of 6500 racks (!!) that spread out all over the campus.

• Green… We do not generate any pollution from biking. ;)

Now, how can I find my future bike?

There are many places that sell new or used bikes near campus area, such as:

Other common place to buy bike is from common superstore like target, walmart, and various pawn shop - I got my used mountain bike for $55 from one of the Pawn shop in St.Paul.

Maintenance can be done in these shops too. So far, I have sent my bike for maintenance only once (remember I got it secondhand!), approximately after a year I bought it. BIKE is totally worth having.

The range of price for maintenance really varies depending on what service you want. To save up money, I always go to every shop to check their prices before send it for maintenance. (Hehehe…) Or if you are skillful enough or just want to give it a try, you definitely can do it by yourself. ;D

SAFETY IS FIRST!

A must-have thing for biking:

Bike Lock - more info

This is the first thing you must have after you buy bike! If not, how are you going to keep your bike safe, right? I personally recommend long U-lock type. ;)

U-lock.gif

Helmet bike_safety_02.jpg

Thumbnail image for Fitting-a-bike-helmet.png

Or else, you might end up like this:

1349288281-german-ad.jpg

Hahaha. Just Kidding =p

Headlights Headlight

All the bike shops listed above sell all these stuffs. Besides that, Pharmacy in Boynton Health Service also sell a packet of helmet and headlight with really cheap discounted-price $20.

Also, one last thing, if you want to bike during winter, you might want to cover a lot of skins. Check Amelia’s blog to see what you have to wear.

Alhough biking is easy, bikers still must know the traffic rules and codes while biking. Watch this:

Bike Lanes

Shared Lanes

My suggestions:

If you can ride a bike, I really recommend you to have one. But, if you can’t ride a bike, it is better you learn it A.S.A.P.

For those who are interested in biking or want to get tips on choosing bikes or how to bike around campus, etc, feel free to leave the comment. Though I’m not an expert, I would love to share it with you. Thanks for reading! xD

Sincerely,

Ceria

I really like, bring about I found what precisely I'd been searching for. You could have wrapped up my personal three day very long hunt! Our god Many thanks gentleman. Use a awesome evening. Cya

Hello there, i feel we observed a person went to my website therefore i located return back this choose? . I am just wanting to locating circumstances to enhance the web-site! I suppose the sufficient to make use of some of the concepts!