Recently in -Mengdian Wang Category

Halloween <3

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

Hello everyone!!!Are you guys ready for the coming Halloween? Is it your first Halloween in America ?If so, are you excited?

For me, Halloween is my favorite Western Festival. When I was an exchanged student in Wisconsin, I was super excited for Halloween!I was dressed as a sheep and went to nearly all the houses in the town for trick and treat with my host family. It is fun to see what kind of decorations that each family has. There are pumpkin lanterns lightened up outside the yard and even some skull toys hanging out side. It is really interesting to experience those. For those of you who have a host family, do not hesitate to join your host family for this awesome and amazing festival.

If you do not have a host family, do not worry! There are a lot of events holding on the campus for Halloween. There is a student group called International Student Buddy Program, which holds halloween party every year. Last year, I went to their event with my mentor and my friends. It is fun! You can also compete with other people for winning who has the best costume :)

Screen shot 2012-10-23 at 12.35.50 AM.png
This picture is from last year when my friend and I went to the IBP Halloween Party.

Valley fair, which is the amusement park in Shakopee, Minnesota, has their special halloween activities as well. There are some corn mazes nearby Minneapolis, where you can actually go buy the pumpkins and also walk through the maze. Try eating caramel apples if you like eating sweet favor food.

10729_156929189145_4002677_n.jpg

This is when I was in the corn maze in Wisconsin. You can see a lot of pumpkins there.

I hope everyone has a fantastic halloween and thanks for reading my blog! :)

Exploring U!

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

Hey everyone!!!How is everyone doing? Some of you are probably busy doing homework and getting ready for your first midterms, but do not forget to check out and get involved in some student organizations. As many people may notice when they walk past the bridge recently, there are a lot of student organizations logos drawn on the wall. When I first saw them, I was shocked! I did no expect that there are so many and different kinds of organizations in the campus.

Some of you might wonder how I find a student group, what organization does and how I can go to their events. One way is to pay attention while you walking the bridge :) Another way is to look at the website. http://sua.umn.edu/groups/ It basically has all the student groups and their basic information. You can also find our International Student Ambassador there as well!!!!:) Actually, a lot of student groups have their own Facebook groups, where they post all of their events.

Screen shot 2012-10-08 at 7.45.56 PM.png
Here is one of my favorite student groups on the campus and also the first organization I joined. It is called Business Association of Multicultural Students (BAM). It is an organization, which opens to all major students. It has no limitations on anything. It provides a platform for our students to network with companies and also develop our leadership skills. It is a definitely great student group to started with. They have general meeting every Wednesdays and different companies come and give us an overview of their companies and some networking or interviewing skills. It is really helpful for us to actually network with those recruiters and talk with them once a week. Moreover, BAM offers a lot of leadership positions, like co-chairs and committee co-chairs.

I know it is hard to explain what an organization does and how it really looks like just through this blog. If you guys have any questions, please feel free to ask me or email me!! Thanks for reading my blog! Have a great week!!!

Ni hao from Helena!

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

Hello everyone!!!

My name is Helena Wang and I am from Nanjing, which is in the east part of China and north of Shanghai. I am a sophomore in Carlson School of Management. My major is Accounting, because I really enjoy dealing with numbers :) I love traveling, watching movies, outdoor sports, shopping and reading books. My favorite author is Jane Austin. Two things that I want to do before I die are that go skydiving and backpacking to travel.

I was an exchanged student in Bruce, Wisconsin for my junior year in high school. It was my first time being away from home for ten months and it was definitely a challenge for me. Luckily, my host family is really nice and I spent my first Thanksgiving with them. I joined volleyball, wrestling cheerleading and track team. That year is such a great and memorable experience.

Then I went back to China to finish my high school and later I ended up here for college. As soon as I got into the campus, I felt it was such a huge campus and I took almost two weeks figuring out all the directions. I really love getting involved with different student groups or organizations. I love meeting with different people from different backgrounds. That is why I really like our university. It is such a diverse university and it has a lot of great opportunities for students. Personally, I really want to do something for our international students and contribute to our international community. That is why I want to become an international student ambassador. There are still a lot of things that I really want to talk about, but I will save them for my following blogs. I would like to invite you guys to read mine and please feel free to comments or ask questions! :)
helena.jpg

This page is an archive of recent entries in the -Mengdian Wang category.

-Kaiwen Sun is the previous category.

-Tarun Nambiar is the next category.