English Literature major. I'm pretty sure it is not a common major to have among the international student. I got a lot of question regarding English.
"How could you survive?"
My answer is, "I would not, if I didn't prepare myself."
English skills are necessary to survive in American college as an international student regardless of their major.
There are few tips for the students who need to improve their English skills through MELP program at the University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota has ESL program call "MELP" (Minnesota English Language Program).
For more than 40 years, the University of Minnesota has led the way in ESL and TESL training. Students have access to a wealth of academic resources, exceptional faculty, cutting-edge technology, and other facilities at one of the largest research universities in the United States.
MELP offers three distinct services:
•Academic English Program - Credit classes for students enrolled in undergraduate and graduate degree programs who are seeking to improve their English language skills while taking other academic course work.
•Intensive English Program - A program designed for students who need to improve their English skills in preparation for study at a University or college, and for those who wish to prepare for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
•Short-term Learning - Customizable training for groups of 12 or more non-native English speakers.
As an international student, I strongly recommend taking ESL classes both for prospective students and current students who need extra English skills.
1. It will help you to improve not only your basic English skills but also essential academic English skills for university student.
- you may not have any problem to just "live" and "communicate" in your daily life. For being a successful college student, however, you may need extra academic skills!
2. It will help you to prepare yourself
-Jumping into hard major classes can be a lot for most of the students !
Lets take a step by step with MELP Program!
In my case, it help me to adjust myself into University life.
3. You can earn credits though ESL classes as well
- A lot of current international students do not know you ESL classes are also counted as credits!
4. You can meet a lot of friends!
- This is your chance to meet many international students just like you!
If you have any question, please contact MELP at firstname.lastname@example.org