Recently in Weather Category

image.img.1304894479919.jpg

Mississippi river is starting to freeze. "Single digit" is becoming normal temperature.
Minneapolis is ranked 16th in America's 25 Coldest Cities.

But if you are a true "Minnesotan," you will still enjoy your venti Frappuccino® outside!
Soon, it will get even colder.

Winter Break and Important Things to Know
As the winter break is approaching, I would like to talk something important for international students to know. These are essential for international students who are leaving the U.S. over the winter break, as well as any breaks.

-Passport
Always, always, your passport must be valid for at least 6 months in the future. If your passport expiration date is coming closer, you may need to contact the embassy of your country. I have renewed my passport in the U.S., but it was not very difficult.

-F-1/J-1 Visa
Since I am a full time student, I can only talk about F-1 Visa, but ISSS can always provide you necessary and detailed information.
You must carry your passport that has a F-1/J-1 visa stamp. This means that if you have renewed your passport after getting one of the visa stamps, you must have the old passport with the stamp as well as your new passport. If you leave the U.S. without F-1 visa, you must pay a fine when you come back, and this record will be filed in the U.S. database.

I-94_form_front.jpg
-I-94 Card
Remember the long white card on the left that you filled in on airplane or at the airport? This is the I-94 card. An inspector will tear the card into two and staple the tiny part on your passport. You must keep this card until it is collected by a border agent when you leave the U.S. I-94 and I-20 are necessary documents to maintain your F-1 visa status. If you lose this, you have to apply for replacement in the nearest Immigration Services and pay $330 for replacement. Also, it takes couple of weeks to get a new one.

I20.jpg
-Form I-20
The last piece of the important legal documents is I-20, which is issued by the university. You need to make sure that you have a valid travel signature from ISSS on your I-20. If you lost or damaged your I-20 form, you need to request ISSS to obtain a new I-20. If you change your major or extending graduation dates, you also need to go to ISSS to issue a new form or apply for extension. If you notice that you don't have your I-20 in your country, keep in mind that it takes time for ISSS to send you a new one.

Wow, that was a serious, unrelaxing topic. I hope I didn't scare you too much. Keep all of your legal documents in one safe place, and carry a copy of your passport in the Twin Cities.

This is my last entry for this year. This is a bit early, but I wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!! I will see you next year:)
images.jpeg

Special day, day, day!

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

Had everyone received enough pepero from girl friends or boy friends?
YEAH! Today is a pepero day! :-)
pepero-1.jpg
Today was Korean's Pepero day. Each year, November 11th is the pepero day. It was even more important this year because this year it was November 11th 2011 (11.11.11). The Pepero day was originated from one story that girls who was in middle school in Busan (one of the big cities in Korea), exchanged pepero sticks as gifts to each other to wish one another to grow as tall and slender as a pepero. There is a story that it was started in 1994. Anyway, this time in a year people exchange pepero each other and it is like Valentine's day in Korean version.
225px-Antique_Valentine_1909_01.jpg
If Korea has pepero day, what kinds of special days do we have in America?
If I could list the most important days in year, it would be New year's day, Memorial day, Independence day, labor day, Columbus day, Thanksgiving day, and Christmas! I mean, there are thousands of important days (such as Mother's day, veterans day, Halloween,Easter, St. Patrick's day, and Chinese new year!) we have to celebrate, but who wants to go to shopping and good deals? ME!
Mall_of_America.jpg
These are the event days that people tend to do shopping a lot, and these of the event days are the time when many stores offer good deals. You can't miss Black Friday (Nov. 25th) either! So, now that we are looking very close to the upcoming Christmas and Thanksgiving (wait, did I said Christmas and Thanksgiving when Thanksgiving is actually coming first?!), is everyone ready for having one of the special days?
Christmas-Presents-christmas-presents-gifts-1024x768.jpg
I know I am not! I need more shopping! Here I come special day, day, day~!

Today, I wrote all about spending money! Next, I promise I will bring a tip for campus jobs! Chao~!
Seol

P.s The winter is definitely coming, if you are in MN start to prepare your winter jacket now. I will attach pictures that can show that winter is coming for sure. All of the below pictures were taken from near area at East bank same time (at 6PM), and from the top to bottom pictures were taken during August, September, October, and November ^ ^
photo.JPG
photo(2).JPG
photo(3).JPG
photo(4).JPG
photo(5).JPG

A Quick Glimpse on the Weather here in Minnesota

| 2 Comments | No TrackBacks

In Fall 2009, during my first semester here at the U, I took Arab1101 (beginning Arabic 1) class. Ok, now you will ask me how this would relate to my weather experience here at the U! Well, read my blog for details! :p

WINTER FUN

| 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

Well, Minnesota's winter is world-wide famous--big snow, freezing temperature, thick ice--sounds scary, huh? Haha, don't be scared, even it's cold here in the winter, people still have lots of ideas of having fun. ;)

Outdoor--Ski

Baby, It's Cold in Minne-snow-ta!

| 2 Comments | No TrackBacks

It is no secret that Minne-snow-ta winter is characterized by cold (below freezing) temperatures. In the Twin Cities (Minneapolis - Saint Paul) region, the average winter temperature is around 10 degree Fahrenheit (-12.2 degree Celsius). Yet, you have nothing to worry about because Minnesota also offers various attractions which help you forget the fact that it is cold outside!

bike.jpg

Some people do ride their bikes to school >.< Picture taken by: Asa Widiastomo