A sampling of many recent innovations by IPrime's Biocatalysis and Biotechnology (BB) program faculty:
Mark Distefano, Chemistry
- Harnessing the power of proteins by combining chemistry and biology to defeat cancer cells, create methods for "green" chemical synthesis and more.
Michael Sadowsky, Soil, Water and Climate & Biotech Inst
- Launched the start up company CIPAC with Alexander Khoruts, Medical School, focusing on treatment using live bacterial preparation that could stop infection caused by the bacterium Clostridium difficile.
- Working on the Minnesota Mississippi Metagenome Project (M3P). M3P is a ground-breaking effort using new technology to catalog aquatic bacteria of the Mississippi River to understand human impact on the river's microbial ecosystem as it travels.
Biochemistry, Molec Biology & Biophysics
- Shaping biological compounds by experimenting with cutting and pasting genes from unrelated organisms to produce novel pathways never before seen in nature.
Lawrence Wackett, Biochemistry, Molec Biology & Biophysics
Ping Wang Bioproducts & Biosystems Engineering
with Xiaodong Tong
- Patent issued: Heat Resistant Bioactive Composition