One Stop | Directories | Search U of M  
 Solar Vehicle Project
Home
About
History
Current Car
News
Photos
Sponsors
Join SVP
Contact Us

« Summer Testing | Race Updates Main | Departure Towards Texas »

And We're Off!

Good morning, everyone! After a long night of packing and final preparations on Centaurus, the team is finally ready to go! We are bringing 20 students on the race, all of whom will be tasked with keeping Centaurus running on the road.

For those of you unfamiliar with the event, the North American Solar Challenge is a 2400-mile race from Dallas, TX to Calgary, AB powered by nothing but the sun. Teams from 25 universities across North America and around the world design and build technological marvels to compete in this magnificent event. We will post more details on the race here later.

Our new website is finally 100% up and running! Please leave comments on these blog posts: it is extremely gratifying to know that there are people following us and cheering us on! We will be updating this blog on a daily (or more) basis throughout our trip, as well as uploading photos which can be viewed here.

We would like to thank all of our generous sponsors and all of the untold individuals who have contributed so much to this project over the last three years. WIthout your help, the Solar Vehicle Project would not be possible in the slightest.

As a 3-year member of the team who has been here since "the beginning" of Centaurus, I must say that it is nearly a surreal feeling that we are finally leaving for the race. Even though it seems like we have experienced countless delays and setbacks along the way, there was always more time to get things done. It sounds incredibly weird to hear someone say, "Tomorrow, when we're in Texas..." in reference to me and my colleagues. It has been an amazing journey thus far, and hopefully we will have many more memorable experiences to come.

--David Towey
Crew Chief

Wow. I was just checking out the other teams on the NASC website. I can't believe Michigan isn't racing this summer! (Hey, are you guys planning to go to the South African Solar Challenge? That would be too cool!)

Hmmm. U of Michigan vs. Michigan State U. I knew they were different schools . . . and I wanted to make sure the solar car team had some laughter. Am I embarrassing you yet, Morgan? Have fun in Texas, y'all!

Good luck with the race. Can't wait to see you guys drive past my business again this year. Go Solar Energy!

Hey guys. Good luck! I hope nobody has been touching the array. Ryan should be taking care of that. Can't wait to see our baby win!

Solar Vehicle Project