During fall semester, over 12,000 users visited the TechCenter for assistance with their technology questions, involving Macs and Windows, iOS and Android devices, and classroom and computing lab technology.
Fall semester was a busy time for our student and staff employees in the ITSS TechCenter. During September, October and November, over 12,000 people visited the TechCenter - an average of 1,000 visits/week.
Located in Kirby Plaza 165, the TechCenter hosts our HelpDesk, Computer Maintenance, AV Checkout, and Computer/Classroom Technology Support groups. Additionally, we offer free 15-minute walk-in technical support, for any device or problem.
During fall semester, we resolved over 1,000 issues at the front counter, involving Macs and Windows, iOS and Android devices, and classroom and computing lab technology. While every staff person can't know the answer to every question, as a team, we are able to support an impressive array of topics:
- set up printing (our #1 request with over 200 customers)
- install or answer questions on over 75 different software applications
- run virus and malware scans
- configure email for mobile devices
- investigate problems with DVDs, microphones, mice, keyboards, trackpads, flash drives, fans, screens, power adapters, tablet pens, and web cameras
- assist with online course-related services, such as McGraw Hill, Pearsons, and Moodle
- reset passwords
- assist with access to UMD servers (bulldog, MyWeb, art server)
- back up data on personal and University devices
- troubleshoot lab access issues
- provide on-site assistance with classroom technology (clickers, projectors, smartboard)
The next time you have a technology question - stop by the ITSS TechCenter and ask us.