Telomeres and Caloric Restriction

I came across a paper that was published at the beginning of this year that discusses how restricting calorie intake can protect chromosomes. I consider this topic part of developmental biology because I think that aging is still part of development. This type of development is just less positive because it has negative effects.

Telomeres are known to be the judgement of aging. They are located at the ends of chromosomes, and the more humans age, the shorter the telomeres get due to DNA replication. Reduced telomeres can increase the risk of cancer and other age-related illnesses. Vera and colleagues studied adult mice and found that lowering the mice caloric intake over time results in a delay of telomere shortening.

Literature Cited:

Elsa Vera, Bruno Bernardes de Jesus, Miguel Foronda, Juana M. Flores, Maria A. Blasco. Telomerase Reverse Transcriptase Synergizes with Calorie Restriction to Increase Health Span and Extend Mouse Longevity. PLoS ONE, 2013; 8 (1): e53760 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0053760