« Light Pollution Bill | Main

Light Pollution Story Analysis

I wrote about a story about a light pollution because I thought a bill restricting light pollution was interesting - and something that isn't discussed much, especially considering the other types of pollution that get more attention.

My main challenge with this story was getting an interview with Senator Dibble. We played phone tag for a while, which was frusterating because I wasn't really sure what direction the story would take until I spoke with him. Once I was able to get a hold of Dibble, I was able to get a better grasp on what his motivation was with the bill. He was very informative and dumbed down some of the technical stuff for me - which I appreciated.

I also had trouble thinking of other people who might want to comment on a possible light pollution restriction. An astronomer from the University of Minnesota astronomy department was able to give me some good insight and background on light pollution and its drawbacks.

Even though my interviewees dumbed down the technical stuff for me, writing the story was difficult because I found it difficult to then put these ideas in my own words. It was very difficult to explain the different types of lights, and how the light would be directed in a different direction under the possible new restriction.

I think this would have made an interesting visual story, but also a challenging one. Taking pictures of the different types of lights would have made the story easier to understand. Although, considering this is a story about light pollution (at night) it would have been difficult to get pictures (well, at least for someone like me, who isn't particularly good at night pictures). I would definately have liked to get Dibble on tape. He was a good speaker and I think would have provided some nice sound bites. Getting audio would be difficult for me, unless I interviewed him in person, but it would have added to the story.

I think the only ethical concerns I would have with using audio and pictures with this story would be if I didn't warn Dibble ahead of time that I was recording him and then posting the audio online. I think a reporter should always be upfront with his or her interviewee.