Critiquing the Unable to be Critiqued

Honestly, to start out, I don’t know why I’m writing a critical response to two groups for the Millennium Development Goals project, when overall, I thought the entire project was very unorganized and poorly planned. I do, however, know why I am finishing this blog prompt earlier in the week than my other ones, and that is because I want to be done with this class. Getting back to my original thought, though, because of the lack of coordination and guidance, I don’t know what to base my criticisms on; my discussion group had different guidelines to follow (though I can’t remember if we actually had guidelines) than the groups that had to present to the class.

Continue reading "Critiquing the Unable to be Critiqued" »

CommonBond Communities

Every other Tuesday night, from 4:30-6:30, I volunteered my time at the Seward east Tower helping elementary students of low-income families with their homework. It was rewarding most of the time, but other weeks, the students didn’t have any homework so the place got a little crazy and almost out-of-control. But, for the most part, the students had homework and it was fun to help them complete it.

Commonbond

Continue reading "CommonBond Communities" »

Title Pages

These are three examples of possible title pages for the Millennium Research project. As of right now, my group doesn't know if we are going to create a PowerPoint presentation or if we are going to create a Word document and format it more like a research PAPER.

Continue reading "Title Pages" »

Formatting A Research Project

When formatting a research project, whether for an architecture/design class or for an English class, the bottom line is that it has to look good. Since this is an open-ended architecture project, the ways to present the information for the Millennium Goals project seem to be endless.

Continue reading "Formatting A Research Project" »

The Designed Environment... Good or Bad Endeavor?

My life is, or at least I would like to hope, all about seeing the same thing in as many different ways as possible. Perhaps, this is the main reason as to why I want to become an architect – so I can try to think of an object not only as that object, but to think of it as the plethora of different objects it has the potential to be.

Continue reading "The Designed Environment... Good or Bad Endeavor?" »

Down With Architecture School... hypothetically

When I first read the question as to what I would do if I was completely released from the constraints of "architecture school," I thought of what I would major in/do for the rest of my life that would still shape and effect my environment if I didn't major in architecture. As of now, though, I am planning in double-majoring in architecture and math, so this may be relatively easier for me to answer.

Continue reading "Down With Architecture School... hypothetically" »

United Nations Millennium Goals

Of the eight millennium goals proposed by the United Nations in early 2008, I have the privilege of working with the second goals: achieving a universal primary education. Because I am most concerned (and advocating) this goal, I will concentrate on finding images, quotes, and songs that deal with education.

Continue reading "United Nations Millennium Goals" »

Issues in the Twin Cities

The main social issue that I have noticed in the short while I've been in Minneapolis is the large amount of homeless people on the streets, especially in the up-town/down-town areas. Along with this problem comes more problems: lack of hygiene, lack of education, and others.

Continue reading "Issues in the Twin Cities" »

Andy Goldsworthy's Ideals in Neenah, Wisconsin

Since I am the most familiar with my hometown of Neenah, Wisconsin, I will investigate the uses of energy, flow and transformation for this city (circa Appleton and Oshkosh, if it helps):

Continue reading "Andy Goldsworthy's Ideals in Neenah, Wisconsin" »