THE MOTHER OF ALL BLOGS

As I read Neil Postman "Technopoly", I couldn't help to agree with him. He believe that technology is tearing a culture and nature apart. He believe that our culture is controlled by both invisible and visible technology. Invisible technology are the things that control our society without physical mass. For example, stats, polls, ACT/SAT scores, are just a few ideas of invisible technology. Visible technology is more of the computers, Ipods, cars, and cellphones.
He goes on to describe technology as "progress without limits", hinting on the fact that technology will never end. This is held true by the constant improvements on the improvements. At first CD players were the new cassette players, and in 3 maybe 4 short years IPOD took over. We were satisfied with old-fashioned VHS players, we had to get DVD players.(DVD players are now getting replace by a new type of movie player UMD)
Every time I think about technology and nature, I think of I, ROBOT. Mainly because the ambition to improve everything almost wiped out the human race. When you think about it, that is what "they" want. If "we" human aren't perfect wouldn't improving everything, lead to our on extinction.
Culture and tradition is no longer emphasized. What happen to going fishing, flying kites, and sports. Now all we have is production, video games, and stats. Nature is constantly being changed and improved. Why? Lakes, forests, and parks are suppose to here to take care of "us" and shelter "us" What will happen when there are no more trees and rivers. Nothing "WE" will die.

Continue reading "THE MOTHER OF ALL BLOGS" »

Opposition

In this weeks blog prompt, I going to expound on a oppsition that I think affects every society in one way or another. Water. In every aspect of life water is there. Lakes, Oceans, River, and plain of drinking H20. Water is powerful, beautiful, and innocent. It can be admired like the Mississippi River or cause chaos like Katrina.
Since water is inevitable there are many conflicts with it. For example, designers often use creative ways to bouild around or fort up water. However the Burj Al Arab Hotel in Dubai, which is the only 7 star hotel in the world, creatively responses to water by building on top of the water.
Facts about the Burj Al Arab
-Just to walk through the gates costs 75 dollars.
-Boasts a fleet of 10 Rolls-Royce cars, and 202 luxury suites complimented by 6 bars and restaurants
-Helicopotor Pad
-Costs To many Zeros!!!!!!!!

Continue reading "Opposition" »

The Repeat 3 Peat

I have been a basketball fan for as long as I can remember. In too me the greatest dynasty in basketball, (and maybe in any other sport) is none other than the L.A. zappers, Portland flatteners, Phoenix mashers, Sonic boomers, and Utah jazzed. I 'm talking about non other than my Chicago Bulls. Chicago Bulls from 1990 to 1998 was a sports phenomenon. They didn't win just one championship but 6 in the span of 8 years. Not to mentioned having the best record (1995-1996) of 72 wins and 10 losses.
The framework of the Bulls included an all-star line-up of Michael "Air up There" "Its a Bird, No Plane" "23,45,23" Sir/His Airness" Jordan (which is the best player/athlete in any sport). Then you had Scottie "The Man" Mr. 33" "The REAL Mail Man" Pippen, Steve "Burner" Dagger Right Between the Eyes" Kerr, Dennis "The Man not Women" "Tie Dye" "Hustle Head" Robman, Ron "The Arsenal" Harper, Luc "The Duke" Longley, and other major players such as Toni "the Big Guy" Kukoc and Bill "The Center" Wennington.
The clockwork is the era known as the UntouchaBULLs. This area lasted from 1990 to 1998 (hopefully should be starting up again in the 2006 -2007 season)
I almost forget the coach for the Bulls was non other than Phil "Blessed with Talent" "Somebody had to put it Together"Jackson, and Benny the Bull.

Continue reading "The Repeat 3 Peat" »

My Room

I considered my room the most meaningful place. My room is my comfort zone. It is full of items that resemble both who I am and where I come from. My room is considered my home away home, because of it's humble features. Consisting of Playstation 2, DVD's, and of course my laptop, my room is entertaining. However the greatest purpose of my room is to serve thee. It's overall being is to create an atmosphere were I can be me. It is where I can sleep, where I can drink, where I can sing, where I can dream, where I can work, where I can eat, where I can think... So as I concluded this reflection about this great place, I would say a room is the single most important place for an individual development. Thus saying, "there is no place like home."

Continue reading "My Room" »

The Man Behind The Blog

Hi My name is Michael Jamison. I from Chicago, IL and now I attended the University Of Minnesota. I love playing basketball and watching comedy. At the U I study Architecture, which is the reason you are reading this short bio now. new jordan.jpg

Transportation

Being new to the Minneapolis area, I have experience trouble with bus routes and times of the Metro-Transit bus. I have notice that some of the bus stops don't have adequate information about bus times nor routes. This is a huge social issue since many tourists visit Minnesota and since Minneapolis host a enormous University. Another problem is the campus connectors. On weekends the campus connectors runs every 30 minutes, however there is no set time. For example, if I just walked out of the recreational center I wouldn't know if I just miss the bus or if one is on its way.
Some of the suggestions I would make to the transportation would be to have creative and descriptive maps at each Metro-Transit bus stops. This maps would illustrate the routes, times, and buses you should catch to get from point A to B. As for the campus connector each bus stop should have valid times each buses will come. For instances; 9:30, 10:00, 10:30, etc.

Continue reading "Transportation" »

Midtown Market

Energy is the potential for causing change. At the Midtown Market I saw a store that represented a community. It was a place were young and old came together to fellowship and barter. The energy at the market represent economy and history. History in the since of the old-fashioned markets of "barrio" nieghborhoods. History is also resemled through the homemade items sold at the market and the tokens used to purchased the items with. The store sells everything; fruits, flowers, handmade items, shirts, and paintings. Every item sold at the market shows the energy of the community. For example, environmental booths offer information about upcoming events in the community. The Midtown Market has potential for change. However my ideas for this change would be conservative, mainly because I like the affect the market has with the community. I would only probably change the design of the market, giving it a more wholesome look.

Continue reading "Midtown Market" »