Recently in reading responses Category

Ch 2 and 3 readings

In Ch. 2 i really like the statement by Dieter Rams. "To me good design means as little design as possible. Simple is better than complicated. Quiet is better then loud. Unobtrusive is better than exciting. Small is better than large. Light is better than heavy. Plain is better than coloured. Harmony is better than divergency. Being well balanced is better than being exalted. Continuity is better than change. Sparse is better than profuse. Neutral is better than aggressive. The obvious is better than aggressive. The obvious is better than that which must be sought. Few elements are better than many. A system is better than single elements." I feel the same way about his statement. I like simple clean designs much better than cramped busy designs.

For the Ch. 3 reading I had never heard of deciding column spacing by making them between 1.5 and 2 times the width of the entire lower case alphabet of the font you are using.

Anatomy reading

I like how the first poster and how it used so many recognizable aspects in the design.
The play off of the ipod commercials really grabs the viewers attention, while the pose
of the Abu Ghraib prisoner refers to the cruelty toward the prisoners.

Charity work

What i got from the reading is that when the designer isn't getting paid, or doing charity work, that's when they do better work. They find ways to create a great design for little cost, like the four months worth of posters for the Zeebelt festival. Studio Dunbar did this by printing one four color example, then overprinting each month's information.

Color theory

I found the reading to be something very helpful. I never realized how many meanings colors have. I learned about colors and the color wheel in 2-D design but we never really got into all the meanings they have. I think now when i create designs i will put a lot more thought into my choices of colors.

problem solved

Doing something out of the ordinary is good if it works. This is what i got out of the reading. The minimum invasive heart surgery book is a great example, there are actual holes drilled in the paper. The small holes aren't need but help with the understanding of minimum invasive. Another example i liked was printed with a folded corner. The corner was still there but the illusion fooled people into think the corner was actually folded over.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the reading responses category.

process is the previous category.

visual research is the next category.