« Lakeville Girl Dies in Car Crash | Main | China reveals $568 billion economic stimulus plan »

Carbon Monoxide detectors required in all homes

Experts say people need to be more cautious of carbon monoxide, especially in the approaching winter season with more people turning on the furnace to keep warm, according to a Minnesota Daily article.

Almost way of heating a building gives off carbon monoxide, and the number of carbon monoxide incidents increase as many people turn up their thermostats to in the winter months, Jon Nisja, supervisor in the Minnesota Fire Marshal’s Office, said.

There are more than 500 unintentional deaths a year due to carbon monoxide poisoning in the nation, and between 2002 and 2006, 92 Minnesotans died from unintentional exposure to carbon monoxide, according to the Minnesota Poison Control System.

“It is a colorless, tasteless, odorless gas that makes you lethargic and puts you to sleep, which is one of the worst things you can do," Nisja said.

A new state law, effective on Aug. 1of this year, requires all homes to have carbon monoxide detectors within 10 feet of each bedroom. Apartment buildings must comply by August of 2009, according to the article.