Kerry approved to become next secretary of state

In a Senate vote of 94-3 in Washington on Tuesday, Senator John Kerry was approved as President Obama's next secretary of state, news sources report.

An article by the New York Times states that Kerry will be replacing former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton. Speaking about this appointment and the future of U.S. foreign policy, specifically progress in the Middle East, Clinton told the New York Times, "I actually think that this election opens doors, not nails them shut. I know that President Obama, my successor, soon to be Secretary of State John Kerry, will pursue this."

According to the Star Tribune, Kerry, a Democrat from Massachusetts, has served as a U.S. senator for five terms. He also served as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. In this position, Kerry has handled relations with Afghanistan, Pakistan, and other countries in the Middle East. More recently, he has visited Syria to meet with President Bashar Assad to address the nation's civil war.