« Massive Change response paper, due next class, Feb. 20th | Main | »

Local Design

The ING ReliaStar Building is in downtown Minneapolis on the corner of Washington Avenue South and Marquette Avenue. ING is a global financial services company which provides banking, investments, life insurance and retirement services. The company that designed this building is Minoru Yamasaki and Associates. Minoru Yamasaki is a Japanese-American who was an enthusiastic "modernist´┐Ż?. Most of his designs reflect the post-WWII era in the United States. The most famous buildings designed by Minoru Yamasaki and Associates were the World Trade Centers in New York. Many aspects of design that they used in the ING ReliaStar building could have been found in the World Trade Centers. The construction of this building was completed in 1964. This surprised me because this building seems like it could have been built about 5 years ago. This building contains 21 columns on the east and west sides of the building, and 9 columns on the north and south sides of the building. The reason that I chose to write about the ING ReliaStar Building is because I go downtown quite a bit and this building has always looked appealing to me. It was cool to finally find out what this building was used for and the history behind it.