« Podcast Blog Entry | Main | Productivity Software »

Wikis

I've been using eXtension's cop (community of practice) wiki for a year and a half now. Though they are to be used in a collaborative nature, I find that myself and many other communities of practice find it hard to get other people to collaborate using wikis for content development. I think people may feel somewhat intimidated by a new piece of technology. Others just don't have any extra time to devote to new projects or learning a new technology. For those that are intimidated by new technology, I predict if people just tried the wiki, just once, the intimidation factor to using the wiki would probably go away since there really is not much of a learning curve involved.

I like the wiki because you can go back to prior edits and retrieve information you may have deleted. I get frustrated by the wiki because it fails to open a new window when you link to another source. However, I'm told that research indicates that opening a new window is not as crucial as one might think.

Dr. Michael Wesch of Kansas State University talks about collaborating through wikis for his students at Kansas State, see A Portal to a New Media Literacy. This is a long video, but nonetheless a great model for thinking about how to use collaborative media in higher education.

Today I've observed in humor as I watched, Anne Adrian, Auburn University, Alabama Cooperative Extension System, use twitter to communicate the following: aafromaa sneaky me: I sent out instructions to 200 people to add their names to a list. I never told them they're editing a wiki. Working beautifully

I think wikis are a neat tool. A great way to collaborate. It seems that we just need sneaky ways to get reluctant people to use them more!

Great post! Thanks for doing Week 6's exercise!