Iteration 1: The Scanner

| No Comments


The Team:
I am partnered with Nick Larson. We actually arranged to be in the same section with the expressed intentions of being partners on the course project. Having both experienced at one time or another a less than satisfactory group project experience, we both wanted to have a partner we could depend on an succeed with. We've known each other for almost a year, and both learned C++ over last Summer with Carl Sturtivant in 1902. We are also both employed in the software industry, myself working for Maverick Software Consulting working on projects for Thomson Reuters, and Nick with VMware. These factors combined to give us a mutual trust and confidence going into the first iteration.


The Plan:
Generally as a team we knew that I was strong with concepts, regular expressions, and debugging ridiculous error messages through ridiculous means. Nick tends to have more strength in the areas of syntax and general coding. As such we decided that the Scanner itself would be Nick's primary concern, while I aimed my efforts towards test cases and regular expressions. We also knew that we wanted to do the majority of the work in the same physical space despite working on two different aspects of the project concurrently.

The Execution:
Due to our work an school schedules we started work on the first iteration a little later than we might have liked, however we were able to have a solid 6 hour session of programming in a distraction free environment. We finished the bulk of the work in that time. I wrote all of the regular expressions in one sitting and immediately fed them into a first draft of our scanner. We found that we had enough success with this test that we simply made some tweaks to our scanner and updated a few regular expressions and were able to make a working program. After this we created our battery of test cases, to confirm that everything worked both independently and as cohesive units. We later had to make a minor change to our scanner, but overall we met with nothing but success.

The Results:
Our partnership worked very well, we both contributed a good degree to the completion of our project. Little regard was given to equally splitting specific amounts of work, because we had a good working relationship and both posess a desire to succeed. We also did very well and actually accomplishing work when we met to work, because we were both able to fixate on our individual tasks there was little argument over issues of how to approach problems, again our mutual trust in each other's abilities played a role in our success. I can think of very little that we would change with regard to how we approached this iteration, as we didn't really run into many issues aside from a SVN issue that was easily resolved with some brute force.

The Future:
As far as I am concerned we will continue our process of discussing the work to be done, independently working on our tasks (in the same location), then combining our efforts and debugging as a team. This works for us because our schedules only allow for a single long session to get the bulk of the work done, and afterwards we can still find time individually to fine tune our efforts.

Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by jeff0094 published on March 8, 2012 5:33 PM.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.