Library Chat Moves 24x7

In case you missed the article in the Minnesota Daily the library’s chat reference service has moved to full weeklong coverage—7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

This means that whenever you have a library or research question, you should be able to talk to someone. Just access our chat feature from the library web page. (http://www.lib.umn.edu)

library page.png

Research Made Easy

Research.jpg
(This image comes from SqueakyMarmot via Flickr. CC).

Looking to start research on a topic, but don’t know where to begin? Come to the Walter Library Workshop “Research Made Easy: Discover the Web of Science?.

This workshop is great for both undergraduates and graduate students looking to begin research on a wide variety of topics. Librarian Lisa Johnston will be providing a guided tour of the large, multidisciplinary Web of Science, a search engine for scholarly journal articles.

The workshop will be held at Walter Library, Room 310 on Wednesday, September 24 from 2:30-3:30. You can register here.

Also if you’re starting your research on a big project, I’m more than happy to meet with you individually and help you brainstorm library resources and search strategies to use to find the best information. Send me an email or give me a call and let me know your research topic and I’ll be happy to help.

Library Support for Your Labs

As we come to the beginning of the semester I just wanted to let you know that the libraries are also happy to support your labs and research groups.

lab.jpg
(Photo provided by Stacina via Flickr CC)

If you have new students joining your lab or want to provide some skill refreshers for your returning staff, I can offer instructional support in:

• Database searching
• An overview of Google Tools
• RefWorks
• EndNote

If you’re interested in scheduling a session, setting up a series of handouts on different topics, or the creation of tutorials, feel free to get in touch, I’d be happy to help.

Instructional Technology Support

I was just looking at the “Twin Cities Student Educational Technology Survey 2007? conducted by the campus Digital Media Center and thought this was an interesting finding:

Though they learn new technologies easily, students are not technical sophisticates and will sometimes need help. Given students’ busy schedules and exploratory learning styles, they will appreciate support that is available on demand and at all hours. Instructors may want to consider making available on a course Web site links to such things as software usage guides, troubleshooting information, and helpline telephone numbers.

Are students expected to know a specific computer program for your class? The library can help you link students to the necessary resources. We have access to many online software manuals through our e-book collection—especially Safari Books Online.
C Image.gifC+ image.gif
I can create a Library Page for your students linking to resources that can assist them with learning technologies. Send me an email or give me a call if you have questions or would like to set up a page.