Recently in Library Support Category

Library Guide for International Students

globe.jpg
The libraries recently put together a guide of library resources and services that is geared more towards International Students.

This resource is campus-wide so it's not specifically geared towards Science and Engineering, but it may still be of use.

Image from vistavision via Flickr.  CC

Grad Student Orientation

This year I didn't meet with graduate students during the orientation session...but hopefully we'll be organizing another meeting soon.

I've put together a short introductory PowerPoint Presentation that may be of interest to new grad students (or as a refresher for those not new to campus):

ME_Orientation.jpg

Here are all the links that I mentioned in the presentation:

Also if you want instructions on connecting Google Scholar to U of M Library Resources you can find that information on the Orientation Handout.

Instructors Planning for Next Semester? -- Reserved Readings

StudyDesk (Reserves).jpg
(Image from S.C. Asher via Flickr. CC.)

As you plan out your syllabus for next semester I just wanted to make sure that you're aware of services the library provides to help instructors make required readings available to students.

Print Reserves
Instructors who would like a full book put on reserve can fill out this form and bring it in to the library or send it through campus mail. You're also free to get in touch with me and I can make sure that your information gets to the correct person.

Reserve Books are held in a special collection behind the circulation desk and the check out period is usually limited to two hours. This makes high demand books available to the widest number of students.

If you'd like a book placed on reserve and we don't currently own a copy, send me an email and I'll look into purchasing a copy.

Electronic Reserve (E-Reserve)
Another option for required readings is electronic reserve. Items of a shorter length...an article, an excerpt of a book, lecture notes, practice exams, etc can be placed on E-Reserve (copyright permitting). E-Reserve makes materials available to students all at the same time and they can access the material remotely--without coming to the library.

To learn more or submit an E-Reserve request, check out the E-Reserves Website.

If you have any questions about Print Reserves or E-Reserves...please let me know or get in touch directly with those departments through their websites and forms.

Library Chat Moves 24x7

In case you missed the article in the Minnesota Daily the library’s chat reference service has moved to full weeklong coverage—7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

This means that whenever you have a library or research question, you should be able to talk to someone. Just access our chat feature from the library web page. (http://www.lib.umn.edu)

library page.png

Research Made Easy

Research.jpg
(This image comes from SqueakyMarmot via Flickr. CC).

Looking to start research on a topic, but don’t know where to begin? Come to the Walter Library Workshop “Research Made Easy: Discover the Web of Science?.

This workshop is great for both undergraduates and graduate students looking to begin research on a wide variety of topics. Librarian Lisa Johnston will be providing a guided tour of the large, multidisciplinary Web of Science, a search engine for scholarly journal articles.

The workshop will be held at Walter Library, Room 310 on Wednesday, September 24 from 2:30-3:30. You can register here.

Also if you’re starting your research on a big project, I’m more than happy to meet with you individually and help you brainstorm library resources and search strategies to use to find the best information. Send me an email or give me a call and let me know your research topic and I’ll be happy to help.

Library Support for Your Labs

As we come to the beginning of the semester I just wanted to let you know that the libraries are also happy to support your labs and research groups.

lab.jpg
(Photo provided by Stacina via Flickr CC

If you have new students joining your lab or want to provide some skill refreshers for your returning staff, I can offer instructional support in:

• Database searching
• An overview of Google Tools
• RefWorks
• EndNote

If you’re interested in scheduling a session, setting up a series of handouts on different topics, or the creation of tutorials, feel free to get in touch, I’d be happy to help.

Instructional Technology Support

I was just looking at the “Twin Cities Student Educational Technology Survey 2007? conducted by the campus Digital Media Center and thought this was an interesting finding:

Though they learn new technologies easily, students are not technical sophisticates and will sometimes need help. Given students’ busy schedules and exploratory learning styles, they will appreciate support that is available on demand and at all hours. Instructors may want to consider making available on a course Web site links to such things as software usage guides, troubleshooting information, and helpline telephone numbers.

Are students expected to know a specific computer program for your class? The library can help you link students to the necessary resources. We have access to many online software manuals through our e-book collection—especially Safari Books Online.
C Image.gifC+ image.gif
I can create a Library Page for your students linking to resources that can assist them with learning technologies. Send me an email or give me a call if you have questions or would like to set up a page.