Other Digital Image Collections

Hey,

Thought some of you might be interested in this YouTube video created by student workers (like yourself) at DePauw University in the Visual Resources Collections. There ARE others out there...scanning away...providing new resources...just like you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y0y0euUnQo

Jen

General Updates

Hi everyone,

I hope your classes are going well as we approach midterm! Keep in mind that as your semester gets busier, we run a very flexible schedule in the DCA. If you are unable to make it into work one day, but would like to make up the hours on another day, that's fine. Just send a quick email to let us know what's going on.

Jodie is working on establishing a phone tree with all of our emergency contact numbers. That way we can contact you in case of an emergency or event that would close down the collection for part or all of the day.

There has been a lot of great work happening in the collection already this semester...

Jessica has been diligently working on shifting the slide collection in order to create more space in the drawers. Thanks, Jessica. This will help as we begin to move slides that have been in storage into better locations in the drawers.

Thanks as well to Paul, Tim, and Jessica who have all been doing careful data entry projects in the catalog. This is a huge help to us and those who use the Digital Content Library website. It improves the quality of our data and makes the images searchable on our website (www.dcl.umn.edu).

Paul, Quinn, and Tony are continuing to scan slides from Design, Housing, and Apparel as well as the Arch/LArch collections. The images are looking great (despite the difficulty that some of them pose)! I will touch base with you about any specific improvements or adjustments that can be made. Keep up the great work!

Finally, we have hired another student to do scanning work. Nasim Agah is a senior will start sometime this week. She is well versed and enthusiastic about photoshop so she will be a great addition to the team.

We really appreciate all of you for your hard work and positive attitudes. I know that it can be a lot to juggle with school and life.

Jen

Email test

I've set this up to send you all an email when I post something new. Could you let me know over email whether it is doing this?

Slides and Data Entry

Hi all,

Quinn and Tim made it through their first day of training and are both doing an excellent job! Thanks for all of the scanning and organizational work that you have all been doing so far. We have been having a bit of trouble transferring our new scans to the dcl server, so if things are sitting in your folders a little longer than usual, this is why. Tim and Quinn, this will make more sense to you later.

Here's a quick update on the projects that we have going on over the next few weeks:

Paul and Tony having been working on scanning slides. We have had some faculty in DHA ask us how far we have come with digitizing the collection in McNeal Hall. They are happy to know that our students have been scanning slides consistently from this collection for the past few semesters. I know some of the slides from the St. Paul collection can be difficult to manage, but I think we will keep chipping away at this the best we can. For now, Tony will be working on the DHA slides and Paul will be working on slides from our backlog of donations. We try to switch things up in a couple of weeks. Paul and Tony can also look forward to some small data entry projects in the near future.

Jessica is starting a project focused on assessing the amount of empty space we have in the slide drawers. This is the beginning of a planning phase to compress the slide collection into fewer slide drawers. This will help us get some of our donation slides out of the cupboards and into the drawers for safe keeping.

Once Quinn and Tim are up to speed they will be working on scanning as well.

Welcome to the Digital Collections + Archives

Welcome (and welcome back) to the Digital Collection + Archives Unit (DCA) and the new DCA blog ! For those of you returning after the summer break, it is good to have you back. We missed you and your hard work over the summer, and we have lots of projects for you to work on (and hopefully have fun with) this semester. We have two new students coming on board this semester. Please take a moment to introduce yourself to Quinn Thomas and Tim Quan who will be starting next week. We are happy to have them joining us to help with scanning and data entry projects!

This blog is for you and I'm hoping it can help us stay in touch with eachother over the semester as things get busy. Some of your schedules do not overlap very much, so hopefully this will be a convenient way for all of us to communicate and receive project updates. We can also use this as a place to share tips about Photoshop, post news about the collection, or just ask general questions. This is new, and part of my multi-phase plan to develop a student worker website and training modules (more on this later). We'll see how this works; we can change it over time with your thoughts and feedback. I'll just introduce myself briefly to all of you. Feel free to post a note about yourself as well.

My name is Jen Green and I am the Assistant Curator in the DCA. I received my undergraduate degree in Art History at UMN and, like all of you, I am still a student. I will be finishing my Master's in Library and Information Science at the College of Saint Catherine in December, and I am looking forward to some free time (hopefully) after that.
I am one of the student worker supervisors and I organize much of the training and projects for all of you. You can always come to me with questions about your schedule, projects you are working on, things you don't understand, etc. I am looking forward to meeting Tim and Quinn next week and working through training with them.

I think that's all for now. I'm looking forward to this semester and chatting with all of you!