Blog Post #4

I thought that this week's reading on Meehan's, "Holy Commodity Fetish, Batman!" was the most interest reading so far this semester. It is just amazing how sometimes we overlook the power of advertising influences starting from a very early age. When I was younger it wasn't Batman but Spiderman was my favorite superhero. Everything I would get would be Spiderman, whether it was a bike, cereal, toys, or a board game. As a family we even went out of our way to go to Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida just so I could go on the Spiderman roller-coaster ride and buy a few items in the Spiderman store. I would like to still add that just today I received for Valentine's day Spiderman underwear with Spiderman candy to go along with it. The reason that I have so much interest in this reading is because of Meehan's key terms such as horizontal integration, and synergy with my reasoning being that they have such a huge amount influence on every consumer.

As learned in class, vertical integration is the ownership of means of production, distribution, and exhibition. For my example of Spiderman, Columbia Pictures (Sony Pictures) owns all of the rights to Spiderman and also Ghost Rider. Columbia Pictures is one of the leading film companies in the world and is also a member of the Big-Six film companies. Like Universal Studios, Columbia is a horizontally integrated company that only controls production and distribution. Synergy comes from what I talked about above with Spiderman being on millions of different commodities world wide. Columbia Pictures uses synergy as Meehan states, "by moving a product through parent corporation and its subsidiaries." This helps to create a franchise that can be seen through all different types of media and helps Columbia Pictures become even more profitable.

I had no idea how much control some companies have over the news we see and the products and advertisements we see on a daily basis. It cannot go overlook just how powerful some of these companies are and how they have the ability to see millions of different kinds of commodities that we see every day. I also found it very interesting just how much of an influence children have on spending. This number I found astonishing. However in contrary I will say this, as a kid I never spent hours inside playing video games or swarmed within these commodities as Meehan so extremely suggests. My parents made me play outside with my friends and limited my time in front of the TV or computer screen. For this I am forever thankful because I now know the lack of enjoyment from these promised commodities.