Blog Post #6

I don't know about everyone else but I found Julie Bettie's reading very confusing. For some reason I just couldn't wrap my mind around the point she was trying to get across. The print off we got with the key terms and concept was helpful I little but still a few of the definitions are fuzzy. I did think it was interesting that she focused on the show, Roseanne and how the show is about a working class labor in the post-industrial economy. I have never seen the show before but am familiar with some of the characters in it. I thought the show did a great job of representing a blue collared family living in the Midwest. Especially because I am from the Midwest I was really able to relate to them.

Monday we talked about the working-class buffoon. It's amazing how many main characters in ever TV show fit this description. The one I would like to focus on is Family Guy because that is my show as of lately. Family guy is about a family living in Quahog, Rhode Island with a fat buffoon for a dad and a stable mom who keeps the family together. The dad, Peter Griffin will do just about anything that people tell him to do. In one episode they are looking for a second car for the family in a used parking lot. Before they get to the parking lot the family has already decided what kind of car they want to get. The cheesy salesman starts talking to the family about the needs for their new car when Peter becomes distracted and starts staring at a new tank in the lot. The family wanted to get something that was affordable that also had good gas mileage but because there is a flashy sign saying, "You Want This Tank!" Peter says to his wife, "Lois, we have to get that tank." Lois tries arguing with him but it is no good because whenever Peter sets his mind to something he can't think about anything else. There is no reasoning with Peter and so the family ends up buying this tank when they meant to buy a cheap car with good gas mileage. Also, I have never drove or filled up a tank but I think it's safe to say that they don't get good gas mileage. This is an example of how the show Family Guy represents the buffoonish working class character that we discussed on Monday.

Although Family Guy is filled with random moments and edgy writing they also incorporate this idea of family and at the end of the episode Peter always does the right thing. To me I like to see something like this because I love the idea of family and everyone being close. And to see this in a cartoon is settling to me. Inside Family Guy is also essentialism. Essentialism is the assumption that certain characteristics are innate or natural to a particular gender/class/sexuality/etc. Some points of essentialism shown in the show are Lois does all the cooking and cleaning and is the typical housewife. Chris is fat and stupid so he get's picked on at school and has no friends. Meg is ugly, wears glasses, and a hat all the time and so she is treated like a guy and nobody listens to what she says.