Blog Post 12

I think Riley is good in the points that he is bringing up about disabled people be misrepresented in media but I think that he is overlooking one thing. That thing being that maybe disabled people want to be treated the same as everyone else. Even when I have had injuries that have made me disabled for a period of time, after awhile I didn't want people to treat my like I was any less of a person and I wanted to be treated like everyone else. Disabled people know they are disabled but they are perfectly capable of doing the same things that other people that are not disabled can do. I just think that focusing less on the issue of the representations of disabled people and focusing more on ways we can start to create the same opportunities for disabled people and treat them like everyone else.

In an Office episode where Michael Scott grills his foot he considers himself very disabled. More disabled even then Dwight Schrute who earlier in the episode gets a very serious concussion from crashing into a fence. Michael says that he doesn't want everyone to treat him in a special way but instead wants to be treated like everyone else. However anyone has seen The Office knows that he wants the exact opposite and craves attention. But despite this people fail to recognize his injury and make fun of it so he decides to call in Billy who works for Dunder Mifflin and has been in a wheel chair for most of his life. Michael treats Billy in a very special way because he thinks that because of his wheel chair it takes him way longer to do normal things that we can do that we may take for granted. Billy doesn't play along with his pity act and says that he can do mostly everything else that people that are not in a wheel chair can do. I got the impression that after seeing this that Billy after awhile in being disabled did not want people to pity him because of his injury but instead wanted people to be treated like everyone else. I think that this is important for Riley to recognize this piece of media because I did not see the three models that he suggests disable people are shown as in media.

Blog Question 12

Hey guys, I was just curious to what you think about this question and see how valid it may or may not be.

Do you think that Riley is right when he says that disabled people have been misrepresented in media and from a disabled persons perspective do you think they want media to cover everything that Riley says that they are missing to be represented or simply be treated like everyone else?