Sociological Movie Review - Girlfight

Sociological Movie Review - Girlfight
The movie I chose to do a sociological review of was Girlfight. Girlfight is a movie that came in out in late 2000 and is about an 18 year old girl named Diana, who aspires to be a boxer and blaze a new trail for women athletes.

The first connection I made to course material was the influence that social institutions have on one's behavior and the stereotypes put on women in physical sports. Diana comes from a low inome, working class area, comprised predominately with minorities and a home where she lives with her brother and her abusive dad - her mother passed away. Throughout the film we see how the abuse from her father affects her at other institutions. When she goes to school she is often getting into fights and causing a lot of problems among her classmates. She is on the verge of expulsion and isn't well liked. She is introduced to boxing from her dad, who is trying very hard for his son to begin boxing, but he doesn't enjoy it whatsoever. Her dad believes in the stereotype that "girls are not physical beings" and should not fight. However, Diana finds a way to begin boxing, going against her dad's will. When she begins to box, the stereotype continues throughout her peers. Her society is structured to have men box and women be pretty and do housework. She is eventually able to break the stereotype and provide opportunities form females to excel in boxing.

The next concept that from class that I could make a connection to Girlfight was intersectionality. We could define intersectionality as the study of intersections between disenfranchised groups, specifically, the study of interactions of multiple systems of oppression or discrimination. We see throughout the movie, that because Diana is a woman and considered a minority, that she is more apt do discrimination in society. We see this when she is first denied access to box because of her gender and her minority in the movie is portrayed as low-wage working-class, so they thought she wasn't able to afford the training that boxing needs. We learned from Doug Hartmann that many or most high level athletes come from middle to upper class families who have the resources to provide opportunity for advancement in sport, but in this movie, we see a special case where Diana is able to excel, despite her struggles to get a chance to prove herself.

Overall, I would recommend this movie if you want to see many examples of the sociological concepts we have learned in class and from guest speakers. It is a pretty accurate portrayal of what goes on in our society when people come from rough homes or aren't afforded the opportunities they deserve. I was able to make these connections, along with others, to further my understanding in sociology.