In our office, someone posted a printout from a Global Knowledge article from 2008: 10 Dumb Things IT Pros Do That Can Mess Up Their Networks. Like many "top 10" lists, this was an interesting read, presented in "do (not)" format.
Let me summarize the article here - and at the same time, turn it around into a "do" list:
- Keep a current, workable Disaster Recovery plan.
- Pay attention to warning signs and error messages.
- Record your changes, so you can undo mistakes.
- Log important activities, to know what happened on your systems.
- Stay up to date on patches.
- Upgrade your systems on a schedule.
- Track your passwords, and share a copy with your manager in case of emergencies.
- Learn to say "no" when the situation dictates ...
- ... But at the same time, be responsive to requests.
- Share the knowledge, so you aren't always the one who's On-Call.