« My leadership journey | Main | What is the Cloud? »

Google adoption

Everyone at Morris should be aware of our Google Initiative, migrating away from the old "Cougarmail" email system and UMCal calendar to a University-branded version of Gmail and Google Calendar. We started the project for the Morris campus in Fall 2010. Staff units did their migrations throughout the month of October. Faculty started their migrations in November, and students were activated for Google around Thanksgiving Break.

Every few weeks, OIT sends me a report of how many users have been activated for Google, and how many of these have completed their conversion. I wanted to share this update on the Google Apps adoption at the University of Minnesota, Morris. Here are the numbers, as of the end of January: (click for larger version)

Google Adoption - Morris.png

As you can see, we're moving along pretty well. The Division of Education and the Division of Science and Mathematics lead the effort, at about 53% each. Overall, our campus adoption is 34% (including all faculty, staff, and students) and trending upwards.

I've heard from some of the faculty how much they enjoy Google Apps, especially the ability to share and collaborate on documents via Google Docs. Some classes now use Google Docs for assignments and homework, which is great to see. The sharing features in Google Apps make this a great fit for the classroom.

If you haven't yet migrated to Google, I strongly encourage you to do so. The University is migrating to Google across the system, and plans to begin retiring the old Cougarmail and UMCal systems starting in Summer 2011.

We have activated everyone for the migration to Google, but you pick the time to opt into the new service. You can do your e-mail migration at a time that is most convenient for you.

Migrating to Google is simple. Check the Migration Process page for a quick checklist of steps to migrate. If you need help, or if you have questions about how to migrate, call the Help Desk at 6150.