« Lost but not forgotten | Main | Involvement in community admirable »

The history of a Polish grave

By: VENESSA OSTERGAARD
DCN Correspondent

Stanley Mosiniak was buried at Calvery Cemetery in Duluth, Minn., (St. Louis County) on March 2, 1972. He was 59. When looking for information on Stanley, I found much, MUCH more on his mother, Mary Ann (K) “Marianna� Tobola.

Mary Ann died in 1948 at the age of 73. She came from a family of five daughters who immigrated to Duluth from Poland. She married Robert Benjamin “Bartlomeij.� Rob was born Aug. 21, 1862, in Radzewo, Poland. Mary was born June 22, 1875, in Konarskie, Poland. She is almost 13 years younger than Rob. Although that was normal at the time, I still find it weird. They were married Nov. 6, 1892, in Duluth, Minn.

As I searched through marriage licenses and death records, I found multiple spellings and names in general for this family. They used Tobin as well as Tobola and Musolf as well as Mosiniak. They also had many different first names for the family members, such as: Mary or Marianna, Robert Benjamin or Bartlomeji. It was confusing trying to compare different sources to check myself when the spellings were different. The dates I found all matched up though, so I just crossed my fingers and hoped to be on the right track.

I found the most helpful information on GenWeb, Google, Ask Jeeves, and Family Tree Maker Online. However, Stanley’s wife, Marion, did not have a death record or obituary.

On the family tree maker Web site I actually found pictures of Stanley’s mother and father and his mother and all her sisters. I thought this was the most interesting part of my search. If you follow the link below you can see those pictures on the Web site.

Stanley and Marion had a daughter named Joan Marie. She was married on July 24, 1965, at Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church in Duluth, Minn. She married into the Nesgoda family but died at 46 from cancer.

This biographical sketch was written for the Research for Reporters class at the University of Minnesota Duluth. Each student in the class went to a cemetery in Duluth, got a name from a grave marker, and then used a variety of primary and secondary sources to find out as much as possible about the person.