First Blog - Jessica Peterson

I haven't read very much nonfiction writing throughout my life, but after reading the first parts of each of these books I am very interested in exploring nonfiction pieces of writing this semester. I became so interested in the reading that I forgot that I was supposed to be jotting down quotes that could create inspiration for my blog. The part of the reading that intereted me the most was the story by Jacqui Banaszynski in Telling True Stories. Her decription in the first paragraphs enabled me to visualize what life is like for the people of Sudan. It brought me there; I felt like I could see it. While reading this, one of the first things I thought was, I could never do the kind of journalism Banaszynski does. I could never travel to some place that far out of my comfort zone and then badger the struggling people with quetions. I wouldn't want to make them feel uncomfortable asking them to get personal with me about what I would consider a less than desireable life style. But as I kept reading, I started to realize why Banaszynski went there and why she wanted to tell that story. In this work, Banaszynski quoted Alex Tizon saying, "Stories give shape to experience and allow us to go through life unblind (5)." After reading that quote I realized the importance of the story Banaszynski wanted to tell. She wanted the audience to become aware of what it's like in other parts of the world that are unfamiliar to us. She wanted to share this experience with others so that they could understand the living condisiotns in Sudan and understand the importance of story telling. Banaszynski said that we can only stay human if we tell stories (5) and I agree with her. Storyies can be very impactful and they can have a great effect on the lives of others. My question for the class to ponder is: What kind of conditions would you expose yourelf to in order to learn about someone's story and tell their story?

This page contains a single entry by pete6725 published on January 21, 2010 12:59 PM.

Lets make it personal was the previous entry in this blog.

Stories Connecting People is the next entry in this blog.