Krebs 1/21

Each author featured in the introduction of "Telling True Stories" refers to what they do by a different title:story-telling, creative nonfiction, narrative writers, narrative reporting.

But what they do is essentially the same- providing slightly different instruction on how to do so along the way. It seems to me that the writers' consensus would be that nonfiction means the same to all. Their writing isn't fake.

David Halberstam said it best when he wrote, "that's never going to happen again" (11).

It happened once and as writers it's our job to tell it, create it, recreate it, report it...whatever you want to call it.

Other ideas that excite me about this book:

What happens next?- the three most beautiful words in writing.
Time is crucial. The idea is vital.
Prepare by not preparing.
Curiosity is a muscle. The more you use it the stronger it grows.

I haven't put name to any of my habits of reporting or writing yet the advice and action of these authors is instantly recognizable and entertaining to me- kind of like an inside joke with a good friend.

Ira Glass wrote, "You've got the plot of the story, and you got the ideas the story is driving at" (8).

I'm wondering if that statement has a place next to any of the pieces of writing in "Telling True Stories."

At face value it doesn't seem like it to me. I am less motivated by Glass than I am by the writers in, "Telling True Stories."

It seems to me that even the excerpts that follow Glass's comments don't fit under a formula as simple as the one he sets up in the beginning of the book.

This page contains a single entry by krebs068 published on January 21, 2010 9:29 AM.

Reading assignment for 1/21 by James Patrick Buchanan was the previous entry in this blog.

1/21 is the next entry in this blog.