@#$%& the rules; entertain me

Being drunk while something epic is going on is the best because in trying to recall it later, you can embellish without even knowing it; and it makes for a hell of a story.
Like everything else we've read this semester, this story raises new questions that contradict many of the basic practices we've learned about journalism.
Of course, being drunk while reporting is considered bad practice; but, you have to wonder whether this story would have taken place if the author HADN'T drank with the thugs, or how his rendition would have been different.
It also raises questions about sources and interviewing. For instance: In the midst of this debauchery, was it ever really laid out between the reporter and sources what was on the record and what wasn't? Are these all direct quotes? How accurate are they? Being that this story was written as a chapter in a novel rather than an article, your average reader won't miss these aspects of transparency.
You're right John; forget about whether or not we liked it, but does it WORK?

Being drunk while attempting to cover an event reminds me of a time when Dan Rather got stoned to write up an article. To quote Mr. Rather, “I had someone at the Houston police station shoot me with heroin so I could do a story about it. The experience was a special kind of hell. I came out understanding full well how one could be addicted to 'smack,' and quickly.” I wonder how many other journalists also get drunk or stoned for their articles?

This page contains a single entry by novit009 published on March 9, 2010 2:57 PM.

Football Hooligans... was the previous entry in this blog.

Among the thugs... or one of them? is the next entry in this blog.