4/15 blog entry

I found today's reading by Lee Sandlin to be interesting. I liked how the author included that many people don't know about the war and that there needs to be people to tell stories to help remember. I liked how she went around and asked family, friends, people younger, but nobody seemed to be able to tell the author about the war. I know personally that I really don't know anything about WWII or the history of our country and that is really sad actually. People fought for our country and established many things for our country through the wars that we have had, so it is important for people to remember them. I liked how the author ended the story to..."World War II ended as war always ends-by trailing off into nothingness and doubt" (361). That shows again that history kind of just fades away. If there were more people to share the stories of our history would people remember them more?? This makes me think of a part from the last section we had to read...they talked about how journalists our the rememberers for the tribe. If journalists shared more stories about our history, would it make an impact?

Let me propose a thesis, journalists should create and publish more stories about wars, to better inform our readers on how wars are brutal and savage, not the G.I. Joe version of World War Two I played as a child.

The first way is to interview the people who served in the war.

Interview your grandfather now.

Tell them how important it is to put down their memories in writing, for yourselves, your family history, and American history.

The second to way to share more stories about American history is to cover "Historical reenactment" events. According to Wikipedia, Historical reenactment is a type of roleplay in which participants attempt to recreate some aspects of a historical event or period. This may be as narrow as a specific moment from a battle, such as the reenactment of Pickett's Charge at the Great Reunion of 1913, or as broad as an entire period, such as Regency reenactment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_reenactment

I have to wonder how Lee Sandlin would react to World War Two re-enactors and their bloodless battles? Maybe, someone here should ask Lee about re-enactors and their place in our collective memories?

The "Journal of American Culture, Studies of a Civilization" Winter 1996 issue has a great article on American Civil War re-enactors titled "Catharsis, Revision, and Re-enactment: Negotiating the Meaning of the American Civil War" by Randal Allred.

This page contains a single entry by hayes256 published on April 15, 2010 12:57 PM.

WWII story blog due 4/15 was the previous entry in this blog.

Lee Sandline is the next entry in this blog.